US Navy SINKEX

Video of the sinking of the USS Racine during RIMPAC 2018. What's really interesting is that they used an updated version of the Army's ATACMS, which I didn't know existed. This gives any user of MLRS a 300km range coastal defense weapon - no doubt Taiwan would be greatly interested in something like this.

I wonder what the intended warhead effect is in the ATACMS?

Is it just a large lump of instantaneous fuze HE, or is it designed with some sort of penetrator to embed itself into the hull. Is it on a ballistic trajectory, or does the warhead attack vertically to increase effect?

Doesn't look like any modern ship can survive a torpedo strike, though. That just snaps them in half..

At 2.08 you can see a radar antenna turning and burning on the bridge. Wonder what that was for?

What was the bow ramp for, SUper SHAR?
It was a ship to shore ramp to offload vehicles - Racine was an LST (Landing Ship, Tank). For reasons best known to themselves, NAVSEA proclaimed in the late 60s that a 20kt ship could not possibly be provided with bow doors - as per the previous LST - which is news to many short-sea Ro-Ro ferry operators.

It was a ship to shore ramp to offload vehicles - Racine was an LST (Landing Ship, Tank). For reasons best known to themselves, NAVSEA proclaimed in the late 60s that a 20kt ship could not possibly be provided with bow doors - as per the previous LST - which is news to many short-sea Ro-Ro ferry operators.
I wondered if it were for loading vehicles from a bigger ship to land them through a ro-ro style back door (crane on - roll off) not that the crane would land them!

Must have money to print ur burn, or print and burn...

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
I can't view the video but if it's the Ex I think it was (I've a colleague out there - who I'm only a teeny bit jealous of) the weapons had no warheads, they didn't want to sink RACINE because they had so many fires to test - they lobbed in NSM (which I think is the Norwegian Kongsberg), then a ripple of HIMARS and then two Japanese T12's, and even Apache had a go.

Last edited: