US Navy SEAL Shot, Killed During Training

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Trip_Wire, Feb 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

An apparent 'shooting house' accident.

Navy SEAL Shot, Killed During Training

Link:

http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=104&sid=1336885

Navy Begins SEAL Death Investigation:

http://www.wapt.com/news/15194344/detail.html

Navy identifies SEAL killed during live-fire exercise
    By CHELSEA J. CARTER Associated Press Writer
    Article Launched: 02/01/2008 10:33:19 AM PST

SAN DIEGO—A Navy SEAL shot and killed during a live-fire exercise was identified Friday as a 22-year-old Las Vegas man.

Petty Officer 2nd Class Shapoor Alexander Ghane Jr. died Wednesday from gunshot wounds suffered during a training exercise at a facility run by contractors in Lake Cormorant, Miss.

Ghane, known as Alexander, was participating with his Coronado-based SEAL team in a "close-quarter combat" training scenario—fighting an enemy with weapons at very close range, said Lt. Tommy Crosby, a Naval Special Warfare Group 1 spokesman in Coronado, Calif.

The shooting occurred at the Mid-South Institute of Self-Defense Shooting, a contractor facility sometimes used by the military for specialized training, Crosby said.

Ghane was pronounced dead after being taken via air ambulance to Elvis Presley Memorial Hospital.

Ghane's SEAL team mates described him as driven and dedicated.

"Alex died doing what he loved. He died a SEAL, with his teammates around him," said Ghane's unit commander, whose identity was withheld because of classified nature of the team's missions.

Ghane joined the Navy in June 2004 and entered SEAL training in November 2004. He joined the West Coast seal teams in June 2007.

"Our family is devastated at the sudden loss of Alexander," his family said in a statement released by the Navy. "We are proud of him, proud of all of his accomplishments and the man that he had become."

Crosby said no other details surrounding the death would be immediately released.
    The death was under joint investigation by the Naval Criminal Investigative Service and the DeSoto County Sheriff's Department.

The Navy has about 2,300 SEALS, known for their elite special operations training and missions, based in Coronado and Little Creek, Va.

2. Could have been worse. They could have set fire to a visiting member of the Royal family.

3. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

I'm sorry, but I don't get the connection to the Royal family?

What has the death of a warrior got to do with them? I would think you would have more respect for a man killed while serving his country!

4. Trip wire our resident septic friend THEM set fire to DI's hair in THE killing HOUSE. That is the connection.

Dont you hate it when the media state the obvious and say uncessesarry stuff to fill up columns i.e "close-quarter combat" training scenario" to "He died a SEAL, with his teammates around him," Either taking the piss or stating the obvious.

Still better than getting done in by stan, respect to the 'warrior'.

Always remember when i found out scott helvenson died sad day.

5. The connection is that when Princess Di was still with us she visited the Killing House and got a little bit too close to a flash-bang. The next day her new, rather shorter, haircut attracted worldwide media attention.

Anyone's death is always very a shame, but the only way that you're ever going to prevent training accidents is to get rid of training.

PB

6. Would that have been "Blue ON Blue"? . . . . :wink:

7. Black on Blue blood, I think

8. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

I have no problem with the training. I have taken the same type of training both in SF and as a police SWAT team member and I understand the hazards, of that type of training, as well as the other types hazards involved in the training of special operations type warriors or members of special police units.

I wasn't aware of the Princess Di incident of which you speak, so had no idea where you were coming from with the reference to the RF.

I did note that some SEALs on another boards were discussing the accident, and indicated that they weren't surprised and that they thought that it would happen sooner or later. I don't know if they were citing this particular training facility; however, that was the idea I got.

9. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Damm waste of a good man.

10. Trip, Good evening.

Could you please explain to the uneducated how someone can join as above and then be suitable for SEAL training so early in their career.

HH

11. I think in the US one can sign contracts to go into certain sections of the armed forces? - eg Rangers etc.

12. hi,

i think the direct SF entry is the 18X program or at least for the army i think it is.

so you can join strate into SF, i think it was brought in about '01-'02 IIRC

I_G

13. Its a shame Trip, the facilities there seem good, I wonder what went wrong. Was it a weakness in their drills or just seriously bad luck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Looks like level 1 of CoD 4.

So have most of our Air Cadets.

15. I just know I'm going to regret asking this Flash, but wtf's Levek 1 of CoD 4? Is it the ground floor of Birds Eye USA?