US navy respects international borders... sometimes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6959729.stm

The crew of a Danish cargo ship held by Somali pirates since early June were released after a ransom was paid, Denmark's foreign ministry says.
Days after the Danica White was captured on 2 June, a US ship fired several warning shots across its bow and destroyed three boats the pirates had used in their attack and were towing behind the Danish vessel.

But the US ship stopped its pursuit after the pirates navigated the Danica White into Somalia's territorial waters, where the US does not have jurisdiction.

Somalia's waters are reported to be among the most dangerous in the world.

Somali pirates are trained fighters, and often use speedboats equipped with satellite phones and Global Positioning System technology.

They target passenger and cargo vessels for ransom or loot, and use the money to buy weapons.
US navy is so law-abiding! However, in this concrete case it would be right to fight with the real terrorists, with pirates. Why it hasn't been done? Maybe the captain of American warship was affraid to fight against the pirates? Who knows?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6714473.stm

A US Navy warship has carried out a missile attack on a Somali village where Islamist militants are reported to have set up a base.
Somali officials said a remote village in the Puntland region was bombarded, days after foreign militants arrived.
Bobming of the village would cause innocent victims (including women and children). So unlikely it was the best possible decision.

Sergey, why do you hate the USA so much? You seem obsessed with it, trawling the internet all night for any article that will cast the USA in a bad light, then posting it on here. Why don't you get another hobby, this one can't be very good for your mental health!

AndyPipkin said:
Sergey, why do you hate the USA so much? You seem obsessed with it, trawling the internet all night for any article that will cast the USA in a bad light, then posting it on here. Why don't you get another hobby, this one can't be very good for your mental health!
It is either that or Israel, and seemingly this week Israel's 'bad light' news may be a bit more sparse then usual!!

AndyPipkin said:
Andy, our Jewish and Israeli friends sincerely think that I'm 'obsessed' with Israel. Also look how many Russia-related posts I have sent. So I 'obsessed' with Russia as well. And generally I 'obsessed' with HM armed forces because I have sent so many posts here about British army, navy and RAF. And of course I 'obsessed' with jokes. So I 'obsessed' with literally everything. Our dear PTP proposed me not to send posts on a certain theme. Maybe he thinks that I'm 'obsessed' with women?

I don't understand it Andy. You are English patriot and nationalist and you are upset reading my post. But why?

I'm not upset m8, just bored. I'm willing to bet that your posts slagging off US or Israel outnumber your posts on any other topic by at least 3 to 1.

KGB_resident said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6959729.stm

The crew of a Danish cargo ship held by Somali pirates since early June were released after a ransom was paid, Denmark's foreign ministry says.
Days after the Danica White was captured on 2 June, a US ship fired several warning shots across its bow and destroyed three boats the pirates had used in their attack and were towing behind the Danish vessel.

But the US ship stopped its pursuit after the pirates navigated the Danica White into Somalia's territorial waters, where the US does not have jurisdiction.

Somalia's waters are reported to be among the most dangerous in the world.

Somali pirates are trained fighters, and often use speedboats equipped with satellite phones and Global Positioning System technology.

They target passenger and cargo vessels for ransom or loot, and use the money to buy weapons.
US navy is so law-abiding! However, in this concrete case it would be right to fight with the real terrorists, with pirates. Why it hasn't been done? Maybe the captain of American warship was affraid to fight against the pirates? Who knows?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6714473.stm

A US Navy warship has carried out a missile attack on a Somali village where Islamist militants are reported to have set up a base.
Somali officials said a remote village in the Puntland region was bombarded, days after foreign militants arrived.
Bobming of the village would cause innocent victims (including women and children). So unlikely it was the best possible decision.
Following the eviction of the Islamic Courts Union from Mogadishu by the Transitional Federal Government and their Ethiopian allies, permission was given to the USN to engage in military operations against the former-ICU jihadis remaining in certain bases in Somalia.

Under UNCLOS 1982, every state government has the responsibility to engage in anti-piracy operations and any/every naval vessel has jurisdiction in cases of piracy on the high seas. The USN had already destroyed the pirate craft used in this attack but couldn't risk firing on this vessel as the Danish crew were on board.

Under long standing international law, hot pursuit of criminals into national waters is not allowed. Hence the USN (and all other navies who are part of CTF150) must break off the chase once the pirates enter Somali waters whereupon it becomes the responsibility of the Somali government to deal with them. The International Maritime Organisation has put a motion to the UNSC to make an exception in the case of Somalia, allowing military units to enter Somali waters at will. This is based on the assumption that Somalia does not currently have a functioning government or law enforcement capability to deal with the piracy problem.

These are VERY different situations, Sergey. Terrorism and piracy are two very different things, although I admit there can be an element of cross over between the two.

Rumpelstiltskin said:
Sergey, considering you love ringing up the BBC Russian Service so much, what are you going to do now your dictator's forced it off the airwaves: http://www.guardian.co.uk/russia/article/0,,2151253,00.html ?
We have discussed this theme on ARRSE pages.

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=75231.html

Of course I'm upset. I used to listen to the BBC in my car on 99.6 FM in Moscow. Now BBC-Russian available only on other (not FM) bands and on internet.

Sorry Sergey, didn't see the thread.

Still, as someone else said, how long before you're unable to provide links to non-Putin news sources?

Click here for some incisive analysis of deteriorating Anglo-Russian relations: http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2007390175,00.html

B

benjaminw1

KGB_resident said:
AndyPipkin said:
Andy, our Jewish and Israeli friends sincerely think that I'm 'obsessed' with Israel. Also look how many Russia-related posts I have sent. So I 'obsessed' with Russia as well. And generally I 'obsessed' with HM armed forces because I have sent so many posts here about British army, navy and RAF. And of course I 'obsessed' with jokes. So I 'obsessed' with literally everything. Our dear PTP proposed me not to send posts on a certain theme. Maybe he thinks that I'm 'obsessed' with women?

I don't understand it Andy. You are English patriot and nationalist and you are upset reading my post. But why?
Ah in this country my dear Chekist one is a scoundrel and one is not...

Dear lord. This made my blood run cold. I had no idea they were running such an organised operation. They'll have digital watches next!!

Q-boats... modern versions of those sneaky anti u-boat armed mechant men would eradicate the pirate threat.

I doubt very much that it would eradicate the problem but it might well lower the annual loss to piracy, conservately estimated at US$1bn minimum

Rumpelstiltskin said:

Still, as someone else said, how long before you're unable to provide links to non-Putin news sources?

Click here for some incisive analysis of deteriorating Anglo-Russian relations: http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2007390175,00.html
It's very interesting and thoughtfull analysis, for hardcore intellectuals only I guess. I fancy that only News of the World could present so informative and impressive investigation.

Kristina is ugly as a witch (maybe not only as). Personally I vote for Keely. Though the buffers are too big for my taste. Too much silicone.

rickshaw-major said:
Sergey is it urban myth or did the Soviet Pacific Fleet destroy more than a few pirates in its time?
The Russian Fleet sailing the long way round to attack the Japs at the turn of the last century sank a number of Hull Trawlers in the North Sea after mistaking them for sneaky Japs sailing to suprise them.

In 2003 a US Ship cracking it's own detail sailed up the Irish Sea challenging vessels under the GWOT rules, it challenged a ship and asked who it was and what it was doing/where it was going. The ship happened to be HMS YORK and the YORK proceed to royally debrief the septics!

KGB_resident said:
Rumpelstiltskin said:

It's very interesting and thoughtfull analysis, for hardcore intellectuals only I guess. I fancy that only News of the World could present so informative and impressive investigation.

Kristina is ugly as a witch (maybe not only as). Personally I vote for Keely. Though the buffers are too big for my taste. Too much silicone.
I've had enough of your sedition, Sergey. Keeley's assets are natural and a result of not having to queue for milk in childhood. That's what democracy looks like, old boy. Your people should reach out and grab it with both hands...

p.s. I bet Vlad's pecs have been 'done'..

Latest Threads