US Navy Reestablishes U.S. 2nd Fleet to Face Russian Threat-4 May 18

This caught my eye on a BBC feed:

US revives Second Fleet to counter Russia

With a bit more details here:

Navy Reestablishes U.S. 2nd Fleet to Face Russian Threat

'Faced with a more active Russian fleet and increasing military competition across the world, the Navy has elected to reestablish U.S. 2nd Fleet to manage assets closer to the homeland, according to a memo announcing the command obtained by USNI News.
The memo, signed by Secretary of the Navy Richard V. Spencer earlier this week, approved reestablishing the command in Norfolk, Va., based on a recommendation of outgoing U.S. Fleet Forces Command commander Adm. Phil Davidson and endorsed by Chief of Naval Operations Adm. John Richardson.
“As previously briefed to you by the CNO, the re-establishment of SECOND Fleet was directed to better respond to the changing security environment,” reads the memo.
“Commander, SECOND Fleet will exercise training and operational authorities over assigned ships, aircraft, and landing forces in conducting maritime, joint and combined operations in support of designated Unified and Allied Commanders.”

The command will stand up July 1 and will have an initial manning of 11 officers and four enlisted personnel. The staff will eventually grow to 85 officers, 164 enlisted and seven civilians. . . '

Probably not before time, in my view, though it will have the double-edged issue of not only sending a bit of a warning to Putin but also ratcheting up already existing tensions.

Though I'm curious as to where the hulls for this lot are to be found? The last of the 'Perry' class boats retired from service in 2015 and (to my limited knowledge) the replacement Littoral Combat Ships (LCSs) are just not afloat to fill the gaps.

How about cancelling the closure of RAF Mildenhall, and dare I suggest re-opening one or two of the UK bases closed at the end of the last Cold War, like Bentwaters and Upper Heyford?.

A few more squadrons of F-35s over here would be no bad thing.

Yokel

LE
This caught my eye on a BBC feed:

US revives Second Fleet to counter Russia

With a bit more details here:

Navy Reestablishes U.S. 2nd Fleet to Face Russian Threat

'Faced with a more active Russian fleet and increasing military competition across the world, the Navy has elected to reestablish U.S. 2nd Fleet to manage assets closer to the homeland, according to a memo announcing the command obtained by USNI News.
The memo, signed by Secretary of the Navy Richard V. Spencer earlier this week, approved reestablishing the command in Norfolk, Va., based on a recommendation of outgoing U.S. Fleet Forces Command commander Adm. Phil Davidson and endorsed by Chief of Naval Operations Adm. John Richardson.
“As previously briefed to you by the CNO, the re-establishment of SECOND Fleet was directed to better respond to the changing security environment,” reads the memo.
“Commander, SECOND Fleet will exercise training and operational authorities over assigned ships, aircraft, and landing forces in conducting maritime, joint and combined operations in support of designated Unified and Allied Commanders.”

The command will stand up July 1 and will have an initial manning of 11 officers and four enlisted personnel. The staff will eventually grow to 85 officers, 164 enlisted and seven civilians. . . '

Probably not before time, in my view, though it will have the double-edged issue of not only sending a bit of a warning to Putin but also ratcheting up already existing tensions.

Though I'm curious as to where the hulls for this lot are to be found? The last of the 'Perry' class boats retired from service in 2015 and (to my limited knowledge) the replacement Littoral Combat Ships (LCSs) are just not afloat to fill the gaps.
Perry class 'boats'? Boats? Really?

Surely the US Atlantic Fleet still exists and has command of naval forces between the US East Coast and the Strait of Gibraltar, including up towards the Arctic, the GIUK gap, and the North/Norwegian/Baltic seas?

Surely the US Atlantic Fleet still exists and has command of naval forces between the US East Coast and the Strait of Gibraltar, including up towards the Arctic, the GIUK gap, and the North/Norwegian/Baltic seas?
Currently (AFAIK) the eastern half of the Atlantic is part of the Sixth Fleet.

How about cancelling the closure of RAF Mildenhall, and dare I suggest re-opening one or two of the UK bases closed at the end of the last Cold War, like Bentwaters and Upper Heyford?.

The closure of Mildenhall is being 'rethought', and the move of assets will not happen until 2024:

US airbase move delayed by two years

Bentwaters is now known as Bentwaters Park and is used for vehicle storage and as a film set, amongst other things. Heyford is now used for vehicle storage, a boat builder and as a police driving area.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer

It's a long time since I drove past Upper Heyford. At that time it was planned to become a new town, halfway between Brum and London

There'll be trouble if someone leaves the landing lights on.

It's a long time since I drove past Upper Heyford. At that time it was planned to become a new town, halfway between Brum and London

There'll be trouble if someone leaves the landing lights on.
I think the housing idea was cancelled, and the site was being used for the storage of vehicles?.

Be nice to see flying resume there.

No doubt the arrogant yuppie commuters who moved to the area in the 1980s and then started to whinge about the noise will have other ideas...........

The closure of Mildenhall is being 'rethought', and the move of assets will not happen until 2024:

US airbase move delayed by two years

Bentwaters is now known as Bentwaters Park and is used for vehicle storage and as a film set, amongst other things. Heyford is now used for vehicle storage, a boat builder and as a police driving area.
So these two bases could possibly be re-used for flying if-and it is a big if the US ever did want to consider a pair of extra bases in the UK.

I think Alconbury ( the airfield site at least) has been built on, although Woodbridge is still a MOD site, and has indeed seen both a A400M and C-17 land there in recent times.

However, the site is now reportedly up for disposal.

W P

LE

The Atlantic Fleet was renamed Fleet Forces Command. The Second Fleet was/will be within it.

Yokel

LE
The 2nd Fleet is now operational

WASHINGTON — The newly reinstated Norfolk, Virginia-based 2nd Fleet, which was opened for business in 2018, is now fully operational, the U.S. Navy announced Dec. 31.

The fleet will oversee and control operations in the Atlantic and Arctic oceans, as well has having a limited role in training and certification of East Coast-based forces deploying around the globe, the release said. The declaration of “full operational capability” certifies that 2nd Fleet’s command-and-control infrastructure is capable of running its assigned operations.

“Within an increasingly complex global security environment, our allies and competitors alike are well aware that many of the world’s most active shipping lanes lie within the North Atlantic,” Vice Adm. Andrew Lewis, who heads the fleet, said in the release.

Latest Threads