US Navy Presidential Ceremonial Honor Guard Drill Team

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Trip_Wire, Nov 18, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

2. blimey! i'd hate to be the guy in the middle of all that!

Dudders

3. that officer must have balls to stand there. They were sh1t hot

4. I see one thing never changes, no matter what the service:

Fantastic display. Shame about the uniforms. And the slightly gay hand gestures every now and then.

5. GAY

Teenage girls do that with flaming batons FFS.

This is why our Guards always carry the infantry combat weapon of the day, instead of some pop gun, so that they look professional and show that they are actual fighting troops. Instead of some sort of pretty pompadours (barring 3 R Anglian of course!!! :D).

6. Very nice, very smart but, can any of them actually sail a ship?

SK :wink:

7. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

chocolate_frog:

These sailors are armed with the Springfield 1903 Rifle with it's issue bayonet. The rifle was used in WW I as the Infantry weapon of that era and as I recall well used by MOH Awardee Sgt. York. The rifle was also used in WW II as a scoped sniper weapon by both the Army and Marines.

Most American military drill teams use this rifle or the M-! Garand for use in these types of rifle drills. The currant issue rifles and carbines M-16 amd M-4 do not work well for the ordinary manual of arms, muchless this type of drill. I'd like to see your 'Guards' do this with the SA 80 A2.

CF Note the: Specifications

M1903

The US rifle, Model of 1903 was 44 7/8 inches (1.098 m) long and weighed 8 lb 11 oz (3.95 kg). A bayonet could be attached; the M1905 bayonet blade was 16 inches (406 mm) long and weighed 1 lb (0.45 kg).

This might just be a little harder to use for your "Teenage girls do that with flaming batons FFS."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfield_1903_rifle

http://www.rt66.com/~korteng/SmallArms/1903A3.htm

10. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

11. It’s all very clever but come on; it’s not Drill its juggling.

Quack

12. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

I think that people should keep in mind that these teams are CEREMONIAL and demonstration drill teams. Their demonstrations of special rifle drills, has very little to do with the normal manual of arms, still used by all of American military forces.

As I pointed out, doing the things shown, by these teams with the issue rifles of today would be impossible.

I would compare such drill teams, to the Special Parachute teams, (Golden Knights) Air Force, Navy flight teams, etc. (Blue Angeles) Most all Countries, to include the UK has such teams.