US Navy Presidential Ceremonial Honor Guard Drill Team

that officer must have balls to stand there. They were sh1t hot

I see one thing never changes, no matter what the service:

Don't worry, Sir. You just walk in a straight line. Stand still. Play with your sword a couple times. Nothing too complicated for you. We'll handle the rest.
Fantastic display. Shame about the uniforms. And the slightly gay hand gestures every now and then.

GAY

Teenage girls do that with flaming batons FFS.

This is why our Guards always carry the infantry combat weapon of the day, instead of some pop gun, so that they look professional and show that they are actual fighting troops. Instead of some sort of pretty pompadours (barring 3 R Anglian of course!!! :D).

Very nice, very smart but, can any of them actually sail a ship?

SK :wink:

chocolate_frog said:
GAY

Teenage girls do that with flaming batons FFS.

This is why our Guards always carry the infantry combat weapon of the day, instead of some pop gun, so that they look professional and show that they are actual fighting troops. Instead of some sort of pretty pompadours (barring 3 R Anglian of course!!! :D).
chocolate_frog:

These sailors are armed with the Springfield 1903 Rifle with it's issue bayonet. The rifle was used in WW I as the Infantry weapon of that era and as I recall well used by MOH Awardee Sgt. York. The rifle was also used in WW II as a scoped sniper weapon by both the Army and Marines.

Most American military drill teams use this rifle or the M-! Garand for use in these types of rifle drills. The currant issue rifles and carbines M-16 amd M-4 do not work well for the ordinary manual of arms, muchless this type of drill. I'd like to see your 'Guards' do this with the SA 80 A2.

CF Note the: Specifications

M1903

The US rifle, Model of 1903 was 44 7/8 inches (1.098 m) long and weighed 8 lb 11 oz (3.95 kg). A bayonet could be attached; the M1905 bayonet blade was 16 inches (406 mm) long and weighed 1 lb (0.45 kg).

This might just be a little harder to use for your "Teenage girls do that with flaming batons FFS."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfield_1903_rifle

http://www.rt66.com/~korteng/SmallArms/1903A3.htm

Trip_Wire said:
chocolate_frog said:
GAY

Most American military drill teams use this rifle or the M-! Garand for use in these types of rifle drills. The currant issue rifles and carbines M-16 amd M-4 do not work well for the ordinary manual of arms, muchless this type of drill. I'd like to see your 'Guards' do this with the SA 80 A2.

I don't think the Guards would want to do it with anything. They still have some dignity.

Trip_Wire said:
chocolate_frog said:
GAY

I don't think the Guards would want to do it with anything. They still have some dignity.

I think that people should keep in mind that these teams are CEREMONIAL and demonstration drill teams. Their demonstrations of special rifle drills, has very little to do with the normal manual of arms, still used by all of American military forces.

As I pointed out, doing the things shown, by these teams with the issue rifles of today would be impossible.

I would compare such drill teams, to the Special Parachute teams, (Golden Knights) Air Force, Navy flight teams, etc. (Blue Angeles) Most all Countries, to include the UK has such teams.

It is all very Hollywood, but impressive nonetheless. And as Tripwire says, thats a fine weapon, certainly not a popgun.

I'd like to see a video of them practising that for the first time :D

Bloody impressive though....

fredflinstone said:
OK. That move from squares to ranks was seriously impressive.

Army 3rd Infantry 'Old Guard.'
I know I posted that one a few posts up...

Trip_Wire said:
I think that people should keep in mind that these teams are CEREMONIAL and demonstration drill teams. Their demonstrations of special rifle drills, has very little to do with the normal manual of arms, still used by all of American military forces.

As I pointed out, doing the things shown, by these teams with the issue rifles of today would be impossible.

I would compare such drill teams, to the Special Parachute teams, (Golden Knights) Air Force, Navy flight teams, etc. (Blue Angeles) Most all Countries, to include the UK has such teams.
You will note that the record-holding RAF Regiment's silent drill team uses only movements which are found in the manual.

NTM

California_Tanker:

I had never heard of them! Any videos?

Thanks, for pointing this out!

This is the best I could find on them.

A quote from the site below:

"The Queen’s Colour Squadron is probably better known for its unique and world-renowned Continuity Drill Displays. These displays have excited and thrilled audiences throughout the world and the Squadron has performed displays in numerous foreign venues including Berlin, Poland, Holland, USA, Canada and Australia.

Each drill display is performed without words of command and the Gunners are required to memorise up to 400 separate drill movements. This takes hours of hard work by all members of the team and represents perfection in drill. The Squadron is the only unit in the world to perform such displays using the standard infantry rifle and drill movements are taken directly from the official RAF Drill Manual. In fact the Squadron appears in the Guinness Book of Records having completed over 2,700,000 foot and rifle drill movements in 23 hours and 55 minutes. This still stands as a record that, unsurprisingly, has not been challenged."

http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafregiment/63_sqn_hist.html

That's the crowd. They took part in the London Marathon a year or two ago, doing drill movements the entire length of the..um..march.

NTM