US National Guard

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by MicknDarcyJo, Mar 2, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Howdy....

I'm emigrating to the US with my yankee born wife in the near future, and am looking into joining the National Guard...

Has anyone done this in the past (emigrated then joined the NG)...

What advice would you give, and should I go for the Air NG or the Army NG.

I've looked at the official sites, but they really dont give much info for these circumstances!!

P.s. I refuse to say 'hooah', or any such nonsence...They'll have to be satisfied with either 'Huzzzah', or 'Woo-Hoo'....!
  2. There is talk of a big reorganization of the Guard. I'd wait and if/how that all pans out. Also, depending on where you live will affect what units are nearby.
  3. MicknDarcyJo

what state are you moving to, and what type of field are you lokking for?

BTW, The national guard gets deployed.
  4. Look into the Army Reserves as well. They are a seperate organization from the National Guard. Generally the NG is more oriented towards combat arms while the Reserves tend towards more support roles. The NG tends to be more parochial since they are under state government until called up for federal service The Reserves are directly controlled by the Department of the Army. Certain state NG units have had issues with promotions in the past but I think that's changed. For some reason in the past the Reserves seem to have had more money to burn than the NG. I don't know much about the Air Guard but here is a decent rundown of the reserve component that might help and bring more options to mind.

Both organizations have educational benefits and sign-up bonuses that can be pretty good. If you aren't a US citizen your choice of jobs (MOS) may be curtailed.

Depending on your unit in either the Reserves or the NG be prepared for deployment overseas at least once.
  5. Cal Tanker would be the one with the most accurate information on your question.
  6. Depends to a large extent on what you want to do, really, and where you are. If you're moving to Anchorage or Fargo, I might advise more in favour of the Air Guard simply because camping out on weekends in the fields in an Alaska or North Dakota winter really isn't all that much fun.

Also, do you want a job related to your civilian work, or something a bit more 'out of the ordinary?'. I had a desk job at the time I signed on, the last thing I wanted to do on my weekends was to do the desk job the recruiter wanted me to take (M.I.). On the other hand, for example, some commerical truckers go into the supply companies, doing what they do on the civilian side.

I had actually looked into the Air Guard unit next to me in Silicon Valley, a rescue wing. I figured that if I was going to wear the wrong colour uniform, I might as well do something honourable, and SAR is pretty honourable. Air Guard units tend to have a much higher op-tempo than their Army counterparts, for example the rescue wing next to me conduct real-world SARs about every three days.

Need more info to help you out.

7. I 'm moving to Idaho, about an hour away from Boise. I've been in touch with the local NG unit there, who I think are being re-roled as 'construction engineers' (or thats what I seem to remember). I'm RMP TA at the minute, and fancy a bit of a change.......

Edited once, cos I'm a mong......and I havent had coffee yet.......
  8. You realise that there is no requirement for you to join the local unit, or even one in your state of residence? It's not unusual to travel in order to join a unit that does what you want to do, I travel several hours to get o my unit. (There are tanks in Idaho, I'm sure: It's where we send troops to go on a tanker's conversion course)

Don't forget, when you sign on you will (a) spend about 6 months in basic/skills training, and then about 14-18 months on a deployment soon after you graduate.

9. Good point.

MicknDarcyJo please bear in mind that west of Boise in Pendleton, Ontario and Milton-Freewater are some Cav units if that interests you. They're somewhat close to Boise and depending on where you'll be living in Idaho.

Idaho Army NG looks like it has an Aviation BN as well as some field artillery units and a band.
  10. MicknDarcyJo, CA tanker and Virgil

the tank batallion in the idaho army guard is 2nd Battalion 116th Armor Cavalry Regiment, part of the 116th Cavalry Brigade. The battalion is set to convert from a tank battalion to a cavalry(RSTA) battalion (squadrons I guess they call them) as part of the reorganization. Whether the 116th cavalry brigade survives the proposed conversion of 6 heavy brigades into support brigades remains to be seen
  11. Does anyone know someone who has made the transition. Would be interesting to hear their experiences and how their British service is looked upon.

I'm currently TA but there looks like an increasingly likely chance I'll be emigrating to New York. I'm a greencard holder, born in the D.C. but not US citizen.
    Some thing confuse me about the citizen requirements.

Firstly, does that prevent me from doing occupations with a security clearance? Their advice seems contradictory. I was born in the US but I am also an alien.
    Secondly, If I don't apply for full citizenship within 4 years does that really mean you get kicked out?

12. Firstly, does that prevent me from doing occupations with a security clearance? i think so.
    Secondly, If I don't apply for full citizenship within 4 years does that really mean you get kicked out? no
  13. Thanks midwesterner... bit of shame though. Was hoping to carry out the same role I have in the TA.
  14. I know a few people who came from other armies like Romania, Russia and Germany who serve in the US Army, I knew a couple of Brits and an Aussie at Ft Bragg but don't think they were ex-service.

You probably won't be getting certain MOSs (military occupational specialites) in areas like MI or PSYOP if you aren't a citizen, I can't remember if there were or are exceptions for those from NATO countries. But check with a recruiter to confirm.

I don't think anyone has much to say good or bad about anyone's service in other armies or organizations really, it shouldn't effect you. You will have to go to basic training and AIT for your specialty. The good thing about NY is there are a huge number of National Guard and Reserve units-Army, Marine, Navy and AF, even Coast Guard all within a few hours drive. There's even an airborne unit or two up there if I remember correctly.

Don't be hesitant to 'shop' around for the best fit, sign-up bonuses, Reserves vs. National Guard, etc.
  15. Your security clearance will be an issue. For my 'secret' clearance, I had to provide proof that I had surrendered my Irish passport at the consulate. It will knock you out of a fair number of jobs, from commo through intel, even jobs in the TOC.

As you're born in the US, unless of diplomatic parents, citizenship should be automatic.

I don't know what the security clearance requirements are for an MP. Remember that MPs in the US Army are really more rear area security combat troops more than discipline/law enforcement. (There are a few of those around, but not many)