US MSM- Scraping bad news from the bottom of the barrel

#1
BAGHDAD - On Aug. 3, 2005, the deadliest roadside bomb ever encountered by U.S. troops in Iraq detonated beneath a 26-ton armored personnel carrier, killing 14 Marines and revealing yet another American vulnerability in the struggle against improvised explosive devices.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21091678/


Why they would front page news from 2005 is certainly telling. It appears as an edit, I didn't read the entire thing but the last page moves the date to March 13 2006.

Whatever happened to unbiased news reporting?
 
#2
While i think this is actually a decent retrospective on the fight against IED's, the msm has exposed the fact that they will only report the news truthfully as long as it is the news they want. Had things not been going so well recently in Iraq (where did the BBC report a more than halving of iraqi civilian deaths?) i don't think the Blackwater affair (which i recognise is an important story before i'm jumped on) would have been anything like as big had the daily car bombings still been continuing in Baghdad.
 
#3
As a journo - who's regrets not to be writing on defence issues - it looks like an update to an old newsstory meant to serve as a reference to a new one. (Could well be that Congress has decided to spend 23 billion on MRAP vehicles).

But the edit appears sloppy and typical of the crap produced, when modern media has to keep up with the newsstream.

That said - blowing life into old news - is not uncommon. (not years old, but weeks or even a couple of months, when competing media outlets keeps a story the competition has published in advance. If after a few days only a few readers, listeners or viewers will notice. 8O

This don't work on major news stories and this one was 2005. So I doubt that this is a case of left wing media workers trying to subvert the work of US forces in Irag. More likely some poor sod, who has to edit four or five newswires an hour and publish them on the internet.

Lars
 
#4
ghost_us said:
Whatever happened to unbiased news reporting?
Don't think there is such a thing as unbiased reporting :(
 
#5
and while we are on this, why have these thinks not been highlighted?

ELECTRICITY:

_Prewar nationwide: 3,958 megawatts. Hours per day (estimated): four to eight.

_Sept. 18, 2007, nationwide: 5,045 megawatts. Hours per day: 11.7.

TELEPHONES:

_Prewar land lines: 833,000.

_March 13, 2007: 1,111,000.

_Prewar cell phones: 80,000.

_March 13, 2007: 8,720,038. Most recent numbers available.

WATER:

_Prewar: 12.9 million people had potable water.

_July 13, 2007: 15.4 million people have potable water.

SEWERAGE:

_Prewar: 6.2 million people served.

_July 13, 2007: 11.3 million people served
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071001/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_by_the_numbers_1
 
#6
parapauk said:
and while we are on this, why have these thinks not been highlighted?

ELECTRICITY:

_Prewar nationwide: 3,958 megawatts. Hours per day (estimated): four to eight.

_Sept. 18, 2007, nationwide: 5,045 megawatts. Hours per day: 11.7.

TELEPHONES:

_Prewar land lines: 833,000.

_March 13, 2007: 1,111,000.

_Prewar cell phones: 80,000.

_March 13, 2007: 8,720,038. Most recent numbers available.

WATER:

_Prewar: 12.9 million people had potable water.

_July 13, 2007: 15.4 million people have potable water.

SEWERAGE:

_Prewar: 6.2 million people served.

_July 13, 2007: 11.3 million people served
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071001/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_by_the_numbers_1

I think unfortunately I for one would never have found this without you posting it. The US won't see this on the nightly news anytime soon.


The reason I posted is that I usually check MSN for news. I know it's not the most centered news organization, but it's default on my browser and I'm too lazy to find another one to default.

But I can usually find the news from MSN echoed on the nightly news from my local channels so I think the influence is there.

It's a shame they cannot simply do Here's the good and heres the bad. That would work on so many levels and it's a very large reason as to why bloggers like Michael Yon have earned such a huge following.

Don't blow sunshine up our rears, but don't try to make the news match your personal views on subjects.
 
#7
parapauk said:
While i think this is actually a decent retrospective on the fight against IED's, the msm has exposed the fact that they will only report the news truthfully as long as it is the news they want. Had things not been going so well recently in Iraq (where did the BBC report a more than halving of iraqi civilian deaths?) i don't think the Blackwater affair (which i recognise is an important story before i'm jumped on) would have been anything like as big had the daily car bombings still been continuing in Baghdad.
My bold

Here perhaps Parapa

:D
 
#9
parapauk said:
Fair enough, but what kind of prominance was it given on tv? Can you imagine how much more fuss would have been made if deaths doubled?
In all fairness, that fuss would probably have been warranted
 
#10
IHT reporting shit, then?

International Herald Tribune
WHO: cholera outbreak in Iraq has spread to 9 of 18 provinces
The Associated Press
Wednesday, October 3, 2007

GENEVA: The toll of people infected with cholera in Iraq has risen to 3,315, the World Health Organization said Wednesday.

The number of confirmed infections compares with 2,758 cases reported Sunday by the U.N. health agency. The death toll of 14 has been unchanged in recent days, WHO said.

The outbreak first detected Aug. 14 in Kirkuk in northern Iraq has now spread to half of the 18 provinces in the country.

"The case-fatality rate has remained low throughout the outbreak indicating that those who have become sick have been able to access adequate treatment on time," WHO said.

The global health body estimates that more than 30,000 people have come down with acute watery diarrhea, which may later be confirmed as cholera.

Kirkuk with 2,309 cases and Sulaymaniyah with 870 are the hardest-hit provinces, with numbers still rising, but the disease is continuing to spread and it is "highly possible" it will reach as yet unaffected areas, WHO said.

More: http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/10/03/news/UN-GEN-WHO-Iraq-Cholera.php
. . . must put Baghdad back on my list of places to go on holiday this winter . . .

Still ain't heard the fat lady sing.
 
#11
I think it gives some scale to the size of the clusterfcuk where after 4 1/2 years, $468 billion (including $13.3 bn from the UK, but not contributions from Australia etc.), 4,000 dead and 30,000 wounded allied troops, people are getting excited about "only" 884 people getting killed over a 30 day period.

I'd also be wary of jumping to a conclusion about the degree to which this can be considered a measure of success at this point. If October, November and December shows a similar trend, then fair enough but right now there's an equally good chance that it's a statistical anomoly. If it is a sign that the surge is working, then everyone on planet Earth knows that the surge is unsustainable. If you were the head of a militia, wouldn't you just lay low until the Spams left before kicking off to get control of the place?

Even if this is all legitimate sustainable progress, and the militias aren't just waiting out the storm, we are still only just on step one of establishing a functioning state- and there about another 999 to go. So excuse me if I don't get too sexually excited about the number cellphones in use in Iraq just yet.

Let's be honest, who would bet the deeds to their house on this having a happy ending, even if we did keep plugging away at it indefinitely?
 
#13
parapauk said:
IHT reporting s***, then?
no, when did anyone say that?
Sorry - my rather bleak sensayumour: you hit me with a barrage of stats, published - or so it seems to me - at the behest of POTUS, to persuade Joe Blow in downtown Peoria Ill., that it's all over in Eye-rack . . . etc etc

Then the IHT (among others) publishes coverage of and aid agency's reporting that - in the midst of all these statistics - Cholera (AKA shittingyourselftodeath) has reached Baghdad, undeterred by The Surge.

The Monserrat Caballe lookalike has a long wait ahead of her . . .
 
#16
Her excitement is neither here nor there. Report the facts. Let others draw conclusions. Those who don't like their news that way are free to read the Independent. 8)
 
#17
parapauk said:
Her excitement is neither here nor there. Report the facts. Let others draw conclusions. Those who don't like their news that way are free to read the Independent. 8)
If I thought that the US and Iraqi gunmints were in the business of dealing in facts, I'd agree with you.

The Shrub, in particular, has a dandy little team of spinmeisters 'working the story', without much resort to evidence, most of the time.
 
#18
parapauk said:
(where did the BBC report a more than halving of iraqi civilian deaths?)
It may not be as positive as it seems- Petraeus has been accused of cooking the books:

Intelligence analysts computing aggregate levels of violence against civilians for the NIE puzzled over how the military designated attacks as combat, sectarian or criminal, according to one senior intelligence official in Washington. "If a bullet went through the back of the head, it's sectarian," the official said. "If it went through the front, it's criminal."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/05/AR2007090502466.html

I think (and obviously, I don't know, so this is conjecture) that the surge is working to a degree, but I don't think the Spams should start patting themselves on the backs yet..
 
#19
Rumpelstiltskin said:
It may not be as positive as it seems- Petraeus has been accused of cooking the books:

Intelligence analysts computing aggregate levels of violence against civilians for the NIE puzzled over how the military designated attacks as combat, sectarian or criminal, according to one senior intelligence official in Washington. "If a bullet went through the back of the head, it's sectarian," the official said. "If it went through the front, it's criminal."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/05/AR2007090502466.html

I think (and obviously, I don't know, so this is conjecture) that the surge is working to a degree, but I don't think the Spams should start patting themselves on the backs yet.
Reinforces my point about The Shrub's administration being strangers to the truth.

I knew I'd read something like this previously: thanks for the link.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top