US Military To Test Fuel Alternatives

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by tomahawk6, May 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Best thing I've read in ages. They're taking old technology and technology in use elsewhere and seeing if it works - which it can do.

Producing a natural gas from coal was done for years and years and years in the UK for our gas network, it's called gasification (you basically shove hot steam through coal and eventually end up with methane) and is still quite energy intensive and isn't a great effeciency option.

They'd be better off looking at biofuel blends, a 5% blend would only reduce the range minimally of aircraft, but would help reduce dependancy on fossil fuels. At the end of the day all technologies listed are fossil fuels.

The only advantage a synthetic from natural gas will have is the reduced carbon dioxide emissions associated with natural gas.

A weak weak weak attempt by the US
  2. I heard that, in an effort to reduce the world dependency on oil controlled by unstable middle-east countries, a study was carried out to find the next two best sources of energy after oil.

The result was solar power and camel sh*t

And who's got all of that?
  3. Hmm... is any other Countries Military trying something similar?
  4. The "Gas Works' was a feature of all UK towns at one time.
    Alternative fuels do exsist, just that 'Oil' was so cheap for so long and the Oil companies had/have massive political pull.
    However as much as I beleive in Nuclear power for the 'Main' source of electrical and despite the fact that I would like to see an increase in Wind, Solar and Wave Power, it will still be 'Oil' that takes the ordinary man to work for the rest of my life time.