US military should ban smoking

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Dunghill, Jul 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Quote:

The Institute of Medicine (IOM) said 30% of army personnel are smokers, leading to "very high" economic and health costs.

Smoking is bad for the health, as opposed to dodging bullets and RPGs.

FFS. Whatever next. :evil: :evil:

2. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

3. Ban smoking! get real for Chrisske. I really do despair of the do gooders in this world.

4. The timeframe is 20 years, in which the US military machine hopes to be smoke free.

5. If you were grown up enough to look at the whole thing, you'd see that the US mil has a problem with it - big picture time kids - they have a great VA system - and they need the money to support wounded, not dying smokers. The figures from their reports are pretty convincing to anyone who can do basic maths.

6. If people didn't die due to smoking, strangely enough they will eventully die of something else and still cost their health services money.

7. It's a shocking statistic that 100% of people die, eventually.

8. I can almost guarantee failure.

Also, a number of the fastest soldiers I know are smokers.

9. Looks like the Yanks have imported our "elf and safety" rules. What's next? Maybe we can send them our traffic safety cameras!

10. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Well I think they should ban drinking in the US forces as they are patently crap at it anyway :D

11. Hold up, hatred of fags is an original Septic sin. I'm a little surprised don't gasp, don't smell isn't the rule of the day already.

We should not forget the buckle hatted cousins also introduced prohibition and "the war on drugs", for which organized crime is eternally thankful.

12. There are enough problems with recruiting & retention as it is... and I'll bet the majority of potential infantrymen hail from those sectors of American society where smoking is most common!

Second, the Americans do not allow smoking during basic training anyway: arguably a sound policy - pretty good inbuilt "Smoke Stop" programme, and I'd suggest those who persist with the habit despite 8-12 weeks of cold turkey are pretty well beyond salvation.

Studies abound - dating back to 1914-18 - indicating just how important "little things" (notably a brew & a smoke) are for maintenance of morale/combat effectiveness of troops on active service, and there's plenty of anecdotal evidence that smoking is frequently adopted during combat by many who've never smoked; most desist once safely home.

Has anyone estimated the potential increase in psychological casualties, & associated costs, among troops deprived of a smoke whilst immersed in the horrors of war?

Why no proposal that "Dunkin Donuts", "Taco Bell" et al be banned from all US posts & bases? Drinking "Coke", "Gatorade" etc by the gallon isn't too great for long term health prospects either. If they're serious about reducing lifestyle related medical costs then all those food & drink franchises need to go, and GIs be fed on plain meat & veg, basic cereals, & the time honoured "shit on a shingle", and given nothing but coffee & water to drink - as was the case in days gone by.

Won't it just be wonderful when some young marine/ infanteer is photographed for "Time" magazine in after action repose with cig in hand only to be charged with the offence of smoking whilst in uniform?!