US military secretly proselytising in Afghanistan?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Taz_786, May 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sounds like a sermon that's been quoted out of context (wot a shocka and from the Huffington Post).

I remember a sermon our vicar gave when I was at juniors where he told us we should be "Fishers of Men" -I don't think he meant we should go out with our nets and try to catch people walking down the street,just as I don't think Lt.Colonel Hensley was literally suggesting soldiers go out and convert Afghans to Christianity.
  2. Funnily enough, I know the Asian kid from 42ID, I'll have to contact him and give him a heads up
  3. After Greetings

Unfortunately the mast majority of Arabs who see this on Al Jajeera, will never of heard of the Huffington Post, let alone understand why it is out of context.

As the man said before, this is a propaganda coup of the highest order for the Taliban, AQ and perhaps even those seeking to radicalise vulnerable young Muslims in the West.

There are a number onf Muslim's in the US services, this is going to undermine cohesion in the US forces and wider US society. What of the Coptic and Orthodox Christians who have lived in the Middle East since Christianity began?

Because the Crusades occurred 500 years before the USA was established, seems to justify NOT giving them any room in US cultural awareness. Even the new administration will struggle to counteract this; if they choose to do anything at all?

The Arab world has a deeper history that can touch on more civilised times. but also remebers the dark times of the Crusades. Proselytise at your peril : "Gott Mitt Uns" translates into many languages.
  4. Yep, it's doesn't matter the context it was originally, the message will be "look the crusaders are trying to convert people" :(

The Bibles were confiscated before they could be distributed because that would have violated General Order No. 1, which prohibits proselytizing, said Spc. Mary L. Gonzalez, a spokeswoman for Combined Joint Task Force 101.

"The servicemember was not aware of that at the time," Gonzalez said Monday.

The Bibles were not paid for or translated by the U.S. military, she said.

"This is very irresponsible on their part to try to contort something out of video of a service and a Bible study class on a U.S. base for U.S. soldiers a year ago," said Col. Gregory Julian, a spokesman for U.S. forces in Afghanistan.

Julian warned that the story "could incite violence that could cost someone their life."

Apparently the footage is over a year old. That makes sense since the Asian kid with the 42ID patch is home.
  6. I have served with Soldiers who were Christian, Jew, Buddhist, Muslim, Sikh, Hindu, Rastafarian, Orthodox, Catholic, agnostic. It hasnt undermined our cohesion one bit. When 3 of our Scouts were hit with an IED, the 2 KIA were a Buddhist born in Burma, and a Muslim born in Pakistan, their Team Leader was a Catholic from Italian Heritage. He lost his lung, 3 ribs, eye, and most of his lower jaw. Our memorial service was conducted by a Puerto Rican Priest in all 3 faiths.