US Military Police jurisdiction in Germany

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Random_Task, Jan 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On my way to work today in Southern Germany, I saw 2 US MP's in woodland camo along with a polizei pair about to put the bracelets on a rather cross looking young man.

Just curious, but what's the jurisdiction of US Military police in Germany outside of US bases? they can sometimes be seen cruising around town in patrol cars.

I asked a spam at work, and he thinks they can pull anyone, and have equal powers to the local plod. He also reckons that the US Marine Corps marathon is one of the hardest on earth because it’s organised by the Marine Corps. So as you can imagine, I don’t always take what he says as gospel.

2. You can refer to the following link:
    https://134.11.61.26/CD8/Publications/USAREUR/USAREUR%20Reg/USAREUR%20Reg%20190-62%2020000703.pdf

In short MP's have jurisdiction over US Mil and Civ in a HN (Host Nation), but may under certain circumstances detain German civilians

3. If some spotty 19 year old USMC MP came up to me trying to put the cuffs on my wrists of love, I'd focking dost him! The four-eyed prick.

4. I thought the US wanted to police the world by armed force.......