US military planned nerve gas test on Australian troops

#1
Link

Defence files have revealed the United States military was planning to test deadly nerve gas on Australian troops in a far north Queensland rainforest in the 1960s.

Australian Defence Department files obtained by Channel Nine show the US was planning to test Sarin and VX nerve gas on up to 200 Australian combat troops by aerial bombing areas around Lockhart River.

The plan never went ahead, but American survey teams inspected the proposed testing site.

The prime minister at the time, Harold Holt, vetoed the plan.

His former staffer, Peter Bailey, says the Australian government was concerned that its Cold War alliance with the US would be damaged if it did not acquiesce.

"If they weren't pretty good and pretty faithful to the Americans we would be dumped, so I think ministers were very aware that this was probably our one main support," he said.

Former Democrats Senator Lyn Allison has told Channel Nine the current Government should make the documents public.

"There's apparently a whole unit which the minister says didn't conduct testing but I think we need to know what they were doing and it is time for these documents to be released," she said.

"Let us have a look at what was being contemplated just 40 odd years ago - it's not the deepest, darkest history of Australia we're talking about."
 
#2
I remember watching some History channel on how the UK did this type of thing to the Diggers back during the later part of WW2 in the far east, except mustard gas was used & the poor sods were volunteers. The film of what happens afterwards made very grusome watching.
 
#3
Hmm, take it the yanks didn´t have enough men to test this on then? Or were they expecting dfferent results from Aussies?
 
#4
If the beer then was as bad as the beer here now they'd have been ok, aussies are brought up drinking beer which must be 50% chemicals.



I've never had so many headaches after drinking as I get here.

:)
 
#6
chocolate_frog said:
Hmm, take it the yanks didn´t have enough men to test this on then? Or were they expecting dfferent results from Aussies?
Different results, indeed. Some non-Americans getting maimed for life. Can't have hometown boys getting used for this sort of shit when there are plenty of foreigners lying around doing nothing.
 

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
#7
In 1957/8 I saw (as part of a naval NBCD course, this being the highlight of the 'C' bit) a colour film about mustard gas and what it could do to you, filmed in the Queensland jungle where the gas (Mustard isn't technically a gas, but there you go) would persist on the vegetation. The participants I understand were convict volunteers who would thereby gain remission. Their scrota wre a sight to behold. Slight interruption when the office sitting next to me slid away unconscious under the seats and two Commanders gently carried him out to recover in the sunshine (which he did - going to his golden wedding next month).

PS wish someone had a copy to post on Youtube!
 
#8
IIRC the US also contaminated the forest from the air and dropped Aussie paratroops into and through it!
 
#9
eveyoz said:
If the beer then was as bad as the beer here now they'd have been ok, aussies are brought up drinking beer which must be 50% chemicals.



I've never had so many headaches after drinking as I get here.

:)
Personally I have had no such problem on the many occasions I opted to drink a month's units in 24 hours in Aus...whereas Canadian beer, especially Molson, has left me alcoholically challenged and with a pulsing vein in my forehead that makes me look like a Bond super villain!
 
#10
Cuddles said:
eveyoz said:
If the beer then was as bad as the beer here now they'd have been ok, aussies are brought up drinking beer which must be 50% chemicals.



I've never had so many headaches after drinking as I get here.

:)
Personally I have had no such problem on the many occasions I opted to drink a month's units in 24 hours in Aus...whereas Canadian beer, especially Molson, has left me alcoholically challenged and with a pulsing vein in my forehead that makes me look like a Bond super villain!
It kills me, I wondered if it was dehydration until I saw pallets of beer sitting in the sun outside a bottle shop. That would send UK beer off in a jiffy, I wonder if they are loaded with preservatives so they survive being trucked around Oz in the heat.
 
#11
All of those non-dortmunder style generic lagers are chemical weapons!
 

Top