US Military Photos

#1
#3
No idea but look at this carrier flung around hard to port. (USS Nimitz CVN 68) Sure glad I didn't become a squiddley. :p

 
#4
Some excellent pics. I spotted some British soldiers, Australian soldiers, and a Dutch aircraft in there
 
#5
blobmeister said:
Are most of those munitions heading for Brit targets?
Most of the time U.S. munitions are in a Brit AO because the RAF can't or won't do its job--no show means no munitions and no chance of blue on blue--hence your army likes to call in our air force. At least that's the word from Brit soldiers, even a few here on Arrse.
 
#6
I bet the maintainers fcuked loved the aircrew after this! All those components needing to be stripped down and regreased/lubed :D

 
#7
Some truly remarkable pictures. One wonders sometimes how they managed to get them. Take the first one of the series; did they have a cable holding the plane in place and erased it with Photoshop?
 

Attachments

#9
Virgil said:
blobmeister said:
Are most of those munitions heading for Brit targets?
Most of the time U.S. munitions are in a Brit AO because the RAF can't or won't do its job--no show means no munitions and no chance of blue on blue--hence your army likes to call in our air force. At least that's the word from Brit soldiers, even a few here on Arrse.
Now that's good !
 
#11
the_matelot said:
I bet the maintainers fcuked loved the aircrew after this! All those components needing to be stripped down and regreased/lubed :D

Forgive my ignorance - Will that have been intentional?

As in, is it some sort of means to get a boat into the sea or something or has the Pilot just fcuked up and been snapped in doing so?
 
#12
Closet_Jibber said:
the_matelot said:
I bet the maintainers fcuked loved the aircrew after this! All those components needing to be stripped down and regreased/lubed :D

Forgive my ignorance - Will that have been intentional?

As in, is it some sort of means to get a boat into the sea or something or has the Pilot just fcuked up and been snapped in doing so?
Have a scan on youtube, there a vid of a rigid raider type boat doing exactly that.
 
#13
That is fecking Impressive!!!
 
#15
Barrack Room Lawyer said:
Closet_Jibber said:
the_matelot said:
I bet the maintainers fcuked loved the aircrew after this! All those components needing to be stripped down and regreased/lubed :D

Forgive my ignorance - Will that have been intentional?

As in, is it some sort of means to get a boat into the sea or something or has the Pilot just fcuked up and been snapped in doing so?
Have a scan on youtube, there a vid of a rigid raider type boat doing exactly that.
Yes, you are correct! This type of action is performed fairly regularly for P/U of Military Special Operations Reconnaissance teams, using the rigid rubber boats. I have seen many demonstrations by US Special Forces soldiers, who parachute into the water with SCUBA equipment and un-inflated boat. They do an UW demonstration w/weapons and re-breathers and then inflate the boat, start the outboard motor and enter the helicopter at high speed from the water, into the tail gate, to ex-filtrate the AO.

As I recall it's also been done by the UK's Special units as well.
 
#16
happybonzo said:
Some truly remarkable pictures. One wonders sometimes how they managed to get them. Take the first one of the series; did they have a cable holding the plane in place and erased it with Photoshop?
No just a fast shutter speed on the camera.
 

Fugly

LE
DirtyBAT
#17


As a spotty youth, I had nether-region arousals about the SR-71, which stopped once I was informed about breasts.

What has happened to the Blackbird fleet, are any still airworthy?
 
#18
I do not know about other US services but the now former wife was a Navy Public Affairs officer for 22 years and they had some really great Photographers Mates plus some of the Journalists could do photo duties if needed. A number of PM's in the reserves were excellent professional photographers in their regular jobs just as most reserve JO's had regular jobs as writers. The USN PM's had good equipment and the reserve PM's would often use their own equipment.

Note regarding pics of the Blue Angels (USN flight demo team). The Blue Angels travel with their own team of PAO's, JO's and PM's and they have lots of chances to get great pics. They put on an awesome show by the way if you should ever get a chance to watch. Canadian Snowbirds are a great show too. (Does RN have a flight demo team??)

Re the question of operational SR-71's, from what I heard all the USAF ones are in museums etc but NASA is coy about the two they own and they might still be flyable. I have never had much contact with USAF other than a couple of grad school classmates at Harvard. I always read about the SR71 as it seemed like an amazing plane and I got the impression that to USAF leaders a plane does not shoot things or bomb things is not worthy of interest. Also, if I recall correctly, at the time the AF was killing the program the AF Chief of Staff had, many years earlier, applied to SR71 program and had failed selection and held a grudge. I know it is hard to believe that a general officer would do such a thing. Then again, when the Iowa class BB's were decomissioned, the Navy shipped them off to museum use with indecent haste so no one could make them bring them back.

re the pic of the F16 (? memory rusty) coming off the Cat. I have seen similar pics. I would guess the PM got onto the port catwalk just forward of the Cat , fired up the motor drive on his camera, and took dozens of pics until he got one just right. No need for photoshop. Great pic though.
 
#19
Ruckerwocman said:
No idea but look at this carrier flung around hard to port. (USS Nimitz CVN 68) Sure glad I didn't become a squiddley. :p

Having spent a little time at sea, I would love to have been on the bridge

of the carrier making that turn. Magnificent.

Great pictures Trip Wire, makes me wish that I could rewind the years

and have another go at it. Thanks for posting them.
 

Similar threads

Top