US military navigation terminology and techniques

Help please.

I'm preparing a paper that requires all 'i's are dotted and all 't's are crossed. :cry:

Can anyone provide a bit of assistance in confirming or explaining some of the US specific terminology I've come across. I'm not looking for a lesson in navigation, just matching US terminology to various techniques.

Please PM me if you can help, and I'll explain all.

Many thanks,
Go ahead, send me what you've got. I don't think there's much "odd" US terminology, though "resection" instead of "triangulation" is one that comes to mind.



Azimuth instead of bearing or direction and lost instead of Locstat.
Possibly the most significant difference between US and UK is the datum used for altitude comparison. The US uses mean sea level data from 21 US locations plus 5 in Canada, averaged over 19 years. UK uses that at Newlyn. Apparently the US is in the process of re-levelling the country following the adoption of a standard system.

As far as concepts are concerned, have a look at this:

A level is known in the US as a transit though, to the best of my knowledge, they still use it for levelling, rather than transiting.


I seem to recall that they have a strange term for "ranging rods" as well.

Latest Threads