US Military May Be Forced to go to Standard Camo Pattern Across All Services

Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by jumpinjarhead, Jun 7, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

About time. It has all got a bit silly, no?

• Like Like x 5
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Dear God I pity the poor serviceman who has to fight a ship wearing that.

3. Lots of Navy on land. Medics, doctors, nurses serving with USMC units. SEALS, EOD etc

For shipboard use there is nothing wrong with the uniforms they traditionally wore IMHO

4. Blue camp at sea was a brilliant idea when a man/woman goes overboard in the BIG blue sea!

• Like Like x 3
  5. Perhaps so, but it could always get worse; as bad as this, for example -

View attachment 125205

''A camouflage uniform with GBFO reflective armbands'? Yes, Your Eminence, I shall implement it immediately. How would we cope without you?'

• Like Like x 2
  6. if we got rid of the RAF uniform the polyester, nylon industry would go bankrupt.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Those were my exact thoughts when I saw that, emperor mong mk1.0.

8. I believe the USMC Marpat™ design would be a popular choice for other arms of service (except for the little eagle, globe and anchor built in to the design), but the USMC owns the design it so the other services can't use it.

There's a great quote on the Wiki page:

MARPAT is also important in that it identifies warfighters as Marines to their enemies, while its camouflage simultaneously helps Marines to remain concealed.

This was demonstrated by a Marine Spokesman who, when MARPAT was launched, said,
    "We want to be instantly recognized as a force to be reckoned with. We want them to see us coming a mile away in our new uniforms".

Isn't wearing camo supposed to make that difficult?

• Like Like x 16
  9. It's a Marine form of (il)logic.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 6
  10. Look at history. When the most successful army in the world was at its most successful, they wore red tunics.

You win wars by killing the enemy, not by hiding from them. And you win the peace with razor-sharp creases and shiny boots.

Harrumph!

• Like Like x 15
  11. My personal view is that you only need three colours of uniform - white, khaki and olive green - depending on the environment. "Camouflage" patterns don't improve invisibility when a soldier moves or is silhouetted and natural shadow (either from surrounding objects or from himself) will provide the effect that multi-colouring of fabric strives to attain. You'll get the multi-colour effect just by having his equipment a slightly different shade.

Compared to the landscape, a soldier is a tiny entity. Making good use of cover reduces his visible size even more.

• Like Like x 1
  12. *and white painted rocks adorning the edges of all the paths within the CP that in turn become lethal projectiles when the CP is mortared. BRILLIANT!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 2