• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

US military has too many white, male leaders - Commission

Saw this article today:

From Associated Press
March 07, 2011 8:28 PM EST

WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. military is too white and too male at the top and needs to change recruiting and promotion policies and lift its ban on women in combat, an independent report for Congress said Monday.

Seventy-seven percent of senior officers in the active-duty military are white, while only 8 percent are black, 5 percent are Hispanic and 16 percent are women, the report by an independent panel said, quoting data from September 2008.

One barrier that keeps women from the highest ranks is their inability to serve in combat units. Promotion and job opportunities have favored those with battlefield leadership credentials.

The report ordered by Congress in 2009 demands greater diversity among the military's leaders so it the service will reflect better the racial, ethnic and gender mix in the armed forces and in American society.

Efforts over the years to develop a more equal opportunity military have increased the number of women and racial and ethnic minorities in the ranks of leadership. But, the report said, "despite undeniable successes ... the armed forces have not yet succeeded in developing a continuing stream of leaders who are as diverse as the nation they serve."

"This problem will only become more acute as the racial, ethnic and cultural makeup of the United States continues to change," said the report from the Military Leadership Diversity Commission, whose more than two dozen members included current and former military personnel as well as businessmen and other civilians.

The Military Leadership Diversity Commission was created by the 2009 Defense Appropriations Act and has been meeting monthly since September of 2009.

The complete report is available at:
Final Report

Not sure how this will work out. I would prefer that our military leaders be selected for promotion based on things like intelligence, education and leadership ability. It appears some other factors may be coming into play.

I never heard of such a load of cobblers in my life. :geek: Now there's whining that the officer ranks are too male, too white and tooo butch, or something. Well, the board may recommend all it likes that women be allowed to serve in combat so that they can compete for higher ranking jobs on a more equal basis in later years, but I don't see it happening - no not even if the combined hags of Project Pink handcuff themselves to mens rooms in the Pentagon. There's some things you just can't force on to people through social agitation.

TaffJ

War Hero
As there is a black male holding the highest office in the country, there really is no excuse now for not climbing the ladder.

As there is a black male holding the highest office in the country, there really is no excuse now for not climbing the ladder.
And I seem to recall that the Commander in Chief of the UK forces is a fine and respected older white lady. She often is associated with a Greek fellow who is a Fleet Admiral.

"Promotion and job opportunities have favored those with battlefield leadership credentials."

Hoo '*******' Ray!! And the problem with that is what exactly??????????

D

ddjond2

U.S. Rep. Chris Smith, R-N.J., said he will propose the appointment of an assistant secretary for trafficking issues because he suspects that the policing of juicy bars near U.S.

Seventy-seven percent of senior officers in the active-duty military are white, while only 8 percent are black, 5 percent are Hispanic and 16 percent are women, the report by an independent panel said, quoting data from September 2008.

One barrier that keeps women from the highest ranks is their inability to serve in combat units. Promotion and job opportunities have favored those with battlefield leadership credentials.

The report ordered by Congress in 2009 demands greater diversity among the military's leaders so it the service will reflect better the racial, ethnic and gender mix in the armed forces and in American society.
Because I don't feel like downloading the entire 21mbs of the final report, perhaps someone could clarify something for me: is the reporting saying that the senior leadership of the army needs to change, or the entire Army? Looking at the demographic data from 2009 (see here, the figures are almost reflective of the entire Army. They mirror the demographics of the total commisssioned officers almost entirely, although I would note that there is a greater percentage of black and hispanic in the enlisted and warrant officer ranks.

The issue, so far as I can see, seems to be that it is assumed that the demographics of Army leadership should reflect the demographics of society, rather than the demographics of the Army. This is not an issue of leadership, but rather an issue of recruitment and societal attitudes.

Further, I'm not convinced that the current status quo is necessarily a bad thing. This Article from 2008 makes the following points about military demographics:
1. U.S. military service disproportionately attracts enlisted personnel and officerswho do not come from disadvantaged backgrounds. Previous Heritage Foundation research demonstrated that the quality of enlisted troops has increased since the start of the Iraq war. This report demonstrates that the same is true of the officer corps.
2. Members of the all-volunteer military are significantly more likely to come from high-income neighborhoods than from low-income neighborhoods. Only 11 percent of enlisted recruits in 2007 came from the poorest one-fifth (quintile) of neighborhoods, while 25 percent came from the wealthiest quintile. These trends are even more pronounced in the Army Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) program, in which 40 percent of enrollees come from the wealthiest neighborhoods-a number that has increased substantially over the past four years.
3. American soldiers are more educated than their peers. A little more than 1 percent of enlisted personnel lack a high school degree, compared to 21 percent of men 18-24 years old, and 95 percent of officer accessions have at least a bachelor's degree.
4. Contrary to conventional wisdom, minorities are not overrepresented in military service. Enlisted troops are somewhat more likely to be white or black than their non-military peers. Whites are proportionately represented in the officer corps, and blacks are overrepresented, but their rate of overrepresentation has declined each year from 2004 to 2007. New recruits are also disproportionately likely to come from the South, which is in line with the history of Southern military tradition.
It all smells like an exercise in quota setting (similar to what we're hearing about women in CEO position quotas, in honour of International Women's Day) that disregards every other selector of position, such as capability or commitment.

Well it'll be interesting to see those responsible for such 'equality' initiatives run for cover and turn on each other, when after crowbarring women and those of an ethnic persuasion into positions above their capabilities simply to meet quotas and American servicepersons are killed as a result.

Well it'll be interesting to see those responsible for such 'equality' initiatives run for cover and turn on each other, when after crowbarring women and those of an ethnic persuasion into positions above their capabilities simply to meet quotas and American servicepersons are killed as a result.
Sorry? I don't understand this. A politician being responsible for something that goes wrong? It is bound to be the military's fault for poorly implementing their excellent idea.

"Promotion and job opportunities have favored those with battlefield leadership credentials."

Hoo '*******' Ray!! And the problem with that is what exactly??????????
During the 60s, American liberals were greatly distressed by the fact that there were a preponderance of black soldiers in combat units in Vietnam; now it seems that it was an early attempt at Equal Ops - to give them the battlefield experience necessary to one day secure one of the top jobs.

There's no pleasing some people.

I expect that the loonatic fringe in UK will be demanding the UK's forces (such that they are) be led by an immigrant Musselman in the future. Couldn't be a woman of course, since women have low standing under Islam.

I expect that the loonatic fringe in UK will be demanding the UK's forces (such that they are) be led by an immigrant Musselman in the future. Couldn't be a woman of course, since women have low standing under Islam.
Hey I'll have you know Islamists are leading the way in equal opportunity terrorism, just look at all the female and mentally disabled suicide bombers they're recruiting.

Hey I'll have you know Islamists are leading the way in equal opportunity terrorism, just look at all the female and mentally disabled suicide bombers they're recruiting.
Yeah, but curiously enough, Suicide Bomber is a trade role that is very seldom represented in the organisation's senior leadership. If someone wants to fund it, I'd be quite happy to research this topic and produce an extensive report on why.

Yeah, but curiously enough, Suicide Bomber is a trade role that is very seldom represented in the organisation's senior leadership. If someone wants to fund it, I'd be quite happy to research this topic and produce an extensive report on why.
Yes sadly all the good ones blow their load too early in their career. Taxi!

"US military has too many white, male leaders" so like many other organisations the US forces will have to drop their standards to allow promotion of those who are black women and in all other respects below standard.

From my experience of US Army Non Teeth-Arm units, Non White and Female Officers are not under-represented at all. There is certainly no bar to promotion of minority groups (beyond ability). If anything, my personal experiences indicate a certain amout of unofficial "positive discrimination". There are certain Black fraternities at work within the US Army (think Masonic influence).

Additionally, rather than look at the President (who did not get to the top within the military) one only has to look at Colin Powell to see how far it is possible for a Black man to get in the US Army.

This will go over well. I just read the head of this committee has never been overseas or commanded a strategic or tactical unit in his 33 years. A Staff Weinie since 1971, that must be a record even for the USAF.

Lester Lyles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Remarkably undistinguished career for someone in service since 1968 - so by my rough calculations he has managed to miss active service in Vietnam, Lebanon, Grenada, Panama, Gulf War I, the Balkans, Somalia, Gulf War II, Afghanistan - he should get a medal for that!

I suppose playing the PC-Identity Politics Game is far more dangerous....

Are not the figures quoted merely a reflection of the US population, or more specifically the traditional sources of recruitment? Personally, I wouldn't care if the US Armed Forces were composed of bright blue hermaphrodites, so long as they can do their jobs.

Promotion and job opportunities have favored those with battlefield leadership credentials.
Imagine that! Armed Forces in which those with actual combat experience obtain the best jobs and promtions...dangerously radical thinking.

much further than the British army.
if its about right it does not need fixing. worth keeping an eye on certainly given the size of the US forces and racial politics in the US.
but battlefield leadership is mostly what the militarys about.
although admin/logistic ablity is not to be snifffed at:)

Skimming this, two points struck me -

- The end of DADT means there is whole new 'minority' whose promotion will have to be considered in some future study.

- Has anybody ever asked the Hispanic-American community if they are happy to be defined as 'black'.

C_C

Latest Threads