US Military Draft Coming?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Not_Whistlin_Dixie, Mar 27, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Since the election, the US news media have been running a lot of items implying, with varying degrees of intensity, that a renewed draft would be a good thing.

This piece is representative:

"The Case for the Draft: America can remain the world's superpower.
    Or it can maintain its current all-volunteer military.
    It can't do both" by Phillip Carter and Paul Glastris.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2005/0503.carter.html

The authors propose that no college or university should accept a student who has not completed twelve months of national service, either in the military or civilian government programs. They refer to their proposal as the "twenty-first century draft."

"A 21st-century draft like this would create a cascading series of benefits for society. It would instill a new ethic of service in that sector of society, the college-bound, most likely to reap the fruits of American prosperity. It would mobilize an army of young people for vital domestic missions, such as helping a growing population of seniors who want to avoid nursing homes but need help with simple daily tasks like grocery shopping. It would give more of America's elite an experience of the military. Above all, it would provide the all-important surge capacity now missing from our force structure, insuring that the military would never again lack for manpower. And it would do all this without requiring any American to carry a gun who did not choose to do so."

2. I dont foresee a draft. The military doesnt want a draft.
    A 12 month period of military service isnt sufficient, 2 years would be more in line with what the service would require to train a soldier.

Now if there was a draft just for the reserve components I might favor that. I would want to a 3 year period of service - 6 months active [training] and 2 1/2 years of active reserve service followed by 3 years in the IRR. Those that object to military service can serve 3 years in the peace corps or some domestic equivalent.

3. Soldier_Why

Soldier_Why LE Moderator

Didn't I already see that on 'Starship Troopers'?

4. It wouldn't work without a peace corps. or similar

5. You mean like the Peace Corps?

6. A draft will never instituted, here in the US. ANY political party which would start one, would never regain popularity. Therefore, it would be political suicide for someone to even try to institute a draft.

This has been discussed so much, it has actually gone away. At least here...

7. That's why it was first talked about by a Democrat, and why the media continue to keep the idea alive. They want a Draft imposed while a Republican is in office.

8. Rep. Rangel (D-NY) and Rep. Conyers (D-Michigan) are pushing this hard.

They offer a strikingly disingenuous explanation.

They say that all youth must be put at risk of military enlistment, and death in combat, (i) to curb the imperialistic ambition of the government and (ii) to promote inter-racial equity.

Meanwhile, Mess'rs Bush, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, Perle, Feith, et al, have got Big Plans that cannot be carried out with a volunteer army.

If Rangel and Conyers' angry-black-man-tired-of-fighting-the-white-man's-wars shtick helps them get the huge conscript force they yearn for, so much the better.

9. But shirley King George II said it would not happen on his watch during last election.
    john

10. Surely the sons of the elite would just dodge it as they always have? Dosent' the current administration have quite a few draft dodger in their who are more than willing to throw away peoples lives even though they ran away from their obligations?
    Incedentally. Why do Americans vote for cowards and liars so easily? If the UK ever found out it's political leaders ran away or dodged a war they were obliged to fight because their country needed them, they would never even make it past party selection.

11. Yeh that'll be just jim-dandy :D

12. "Draft Needed To Bail Out Neocons" by Paul Craig Roberts.
    http://www.antiwar.com/roberts/?articleid=5354

Mr. Roberts is former U/Secretary of Treasury under Pres. Reagan.

Mr. Roberts argues that a restored draft would create tyranny and poverty at home and chaos abroad.

"What might save America from further neoconservative miscalculations is the collapse of the U.S. dollar. A country dependent on foreign financing, as is the U.S., cannot fight wars that its foreign bankers do not approve. I suspect America's foreign bankers would let the U.S. fight itself into a deep hole before pulling the plug. It is the best way the world has of getting rid of us."

13. I'm sure that hasn't crossed the minds of the Chinese in any way at all NWD :D

14. I think that they should bring back national service in the UK. 18 months.

I do not believe that national servicemen would damage the integrity of our Army. They didn't the last time it was around and in fact, in most cases, despite the fact they hated it, it turned them into decent citizens. Have a look at the Chav handout culture we have today. I'd dearly love to see them at ITC.

15. People keep throwing around the word neocon without knowing the meaning of the word. Here is a definition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoconservatism_(United_States)

and another

http://www.benadorassociates.com/article/180