US medic in Iraq kidnap plea deal

Military judge Col Steven Folsom sentenced Bacos to 10 years in prison, but reduced the period he will actually serve to one year because of the plea agreement.
Bacos said squad leader Sgt Lawrence Hutchins III then fired three shots into Mr Awad's head followed by at least seven more rounds to the head from Cpl Trent Thomas.
Prosecutors say an AK-47 assault rifle, bullets and a shovel were placed next to Mr Awad's body to make it appear as if he were trying to plant a roadside bomb.
The US military has said the death penalty will not be sought against any of the marines.
They can freely say it knowing that really the soldiers that killed the Iraqi would recieve 20 years in prison and actually would serve only 2 because of (highly possible) plea agreement.

I propose a quiz. What is the maximum real term in the jail for unlawfull killing in Iraq for coalition soldiers? Not theoretical but real.

It is possible that namely British serviceman will be soon punished in the most severe way. It would be unfair because he killed the Iraqi apparently unintentionally.

Btw, main Abu-Graib abuser got 10 year but he hasn't killed anybody.

Fecking sailors. :x

Mad_Moriarty said:
The Medic has been jailed for 10 years.
But commuted to a year.

CAMP PENDLETON, California (AP) -- A Navy corpsman testified Friday that Marines in his patrol seized an Iraqi civilian from his home, threw him into a hole and put at least 10 bullets in his head and chest after growing frustrated in their search for an insurgent.

Petty Officer 3rd Class Melson J. Bacos said he saw a Marine put fingerprints from the victim onto a rifle and shovel to implicate him as an insurgent.

"I was shocked and I felt sick to my stomach," Bacos said.

Bacos, a medic who had been on patrol with the squad, was charged along with seven Marines in the slaying of Hashim Ibrahim Awad last spring in the town of Hamdaniya. But Bacos struck a deal with prosecutors under which he pleaded guilty to kidnapping and conspiracy and agreed to testify Friday at his court-martial about what he saw.

"I knew what we were doing was wrong," Bacos testified. "I knew we were doing something wrong and I tried to say something."

Bacos, 21, was the first of the servicemen to be court-martialed. The seven others could get up to life in prison.

Military judge Col. Steven Folsom sentenced Bacos to 10 years in prison but reduced the term to one year because of the plea agreement. That will be further reduced by time served. Other counts of murder, kidnapping and conspiracy were dropped in exchange for his cooperation
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/10/06/marines.iraq.ap/index.html

Devil_Dog said:
Mad_Moriarty said:
But commuted to a year.

CAMP PENDLETON, California (AP) -- A Navy corpsman testified Friday that Marines in his patrol seized an Iraqi civilian from his home, threw him into a hole and put at least 10 bullets in his head and chest after growing frustrated in their search for an insurgent.

Petty Officer 3rd Class Melson J. Bacos said he saw a Marine put fingerprints from the victim onto a rifle and shovel to implicate him as an insurgent.

Bacos, a medic who had been on patrol with the squad, was charged along with seven Marines in the slaying of Hashim Ibrahim Awad last spring in the town of Hamdaniya. But Bacos struck a deal with prosecutors under which he pleaded guilty to kidnapping and conspiracy and agreed to testify Friday at his court-martial about what he saw.

"I knew what we were doing was wrong," Bacos testified. "I knew we were doing something wrong and I tried to say something."

Bacos, 21, was the first of the servicemen to be court-martialed. The seven others could get up to life in prison.

Military judge Col. Steven Folsom sentenced Bacos to 10 years in prison but reduced the term to one year because of the plea agreement. That will be further reduced by time served. Other counts of murder, kidnapping and conspiracy were dropped in exchange for his cooperation
A Big Chicken Dinner for him after a year!

Mad_Moriarty said:
Devil_Dog said:
Mad_Moriarty said:
But commuted to a year.

A Big Chicken Dinner for him after a year!
Probably out in less than 9 months tops.He is getting credit for time served too.This saga has been going on for several months now.Lucky guy.One of me mates got 18 months for bouncing checks and got a dishonourable discharge too.