US MARINES TO HELP CANADIANS & BRITISH?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Mar 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Confirmed: Canada to get help in Kandahar
    Matthew Fisher, Canwest News Service
    Published: Wednesday, March 12, 2008
    KABUL, Afghanistan - Canada will get the additional NATO combat forces in Kandahar that Parliament is expected to demand if it approves a motion Thursday to extend the mission there to 2011, according to the White House and the U.S. commander of all 50,000 coalition forces in Afghanistan.

Gen. Dan McNeill also told Canwest News Service in an exclusive interview Wednesday that U.S. Marines being deployed to southern Afghanistan in April for seven months, would help the Canadian battle group, fighting the war against the Taliban in the province of Kandahar.

"You should say to the Canadian people that I am not likely to be sitting on my thumbs after the Marines depart," McNeill said of the deployment of 3,200 Marines to the south that ends this fall. "We will have here a credible force and with some exceptions I am able to move some of it around the battlefield to take care of business where I need to."
    More on the link
    http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/story.html?id=bf5110ce-9b79-453d-8992-606a1b2cff4d&k=20291

2. Excellent news, The Yank Marines have very good support kit, just what the workers need.
    john

3. Especially if they bring their own air support.

4. Someone is missing the point here!!!!!!

Weren’t our leaders trying to get other countries to support the Afghan deal? Why make the Septics provide more, when we should be looking at our neighbours in Europe to provide.

Don’t the Yanks spend enough time away, without making them extend yet again their over stretched forces?

5. True, but given the level of support that they will bring it will be a welcome help to us and the Canucks.

6. And it looks as though we will need them if this is a foretaste of of what is to come with the onset of spring.

URGENT - 41 Taliban militants killed in battle, airstrikes in southern Afghanistan
    March 13, 2008 1:40 AM

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (AP) - A provincial governor in Kandahar says Afghan and international forces have killed 41 Taliban militants in a battle in southern Afghanistan.

Nimroz Gov. Ghulam Dastagir Azad said the insurgents were traveling Wednesday through neighboring Helmand province when the joint forces attacked them.

Azad says the troops employed airstrikes during the four-hour battle in Helmand province, killing 41 militants.

He says 17 of the dead were from Nimroz, including a commander named Mullah Tor Jan. Their bodies have been transferred to the province.

7. Nah feck em they started it!!

the european neighbours wholly disagree with the War, why should they send troops? The Germans are concious STILL of what their empire building forefathers did... it was a big step sending support troops outside of the German border in the first place.

The French are just surrender monkeys.. would be a bit embarrasing for Sarkov...Sarkoz....er ...the new french playboy in power, If his Generals did a vichy style thing and started wearing turbans.

And besides see it their way... French Invades Algeria... nasty despotic murdering regime... and the Algerians aint much better... would the UK be happy to be involved and send troops...

A lot of the european citizenry see the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq as Global Empire building by the Yanks... "war on terrorism... je ne pas making moi laugh monsieur, le world allez better, safer pret a'manger avec Boosh Invasion mon ami" or words to that effect

8. "Weren’t our leaders trying to get other countries to support the Afghan deal? Why make the Septics provide more, when we should be looking at our neighbours in Europe to provide."

Believe me its been tried and tried and tried again. Lack of results should not be confused with lack of action on this issue!

9. I agree with you that it has been tried again and again. However the point is they are members of NATO and as such should be acting in a cohesive way by providing what is required for the mission. Whilst the USA is a big place they should not have to dip into their. This was an agreed strategy for the war on terrorism. The other nations provided enough troops to go into Kosovo and patrol Pristina. They should be pulling their weight in Afghanisatn as well. Bunch of pansies.

10. If the French were to send any troops to Afghan it would probably be members of "La Legion"