US Marines Ordered Not to Have Live Ammunition in Defending Embassies

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jumpinjarhead, Sep 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whoever in the State Department and the White House that approved such an order should be summarily fired. Will we never learn--241 Marines, Sailors and Soldiers died in Beirut in 1983 as a result of similar orders by the Reagan administration no less. And people wonder why I have little respect for American politicians and their sycophantic appointees of either party.

http://nation.time.com/2012/09/13/whats-worse-no-marines-or-possibly-unarmed-marines/

2. Bit pointless them being there without live ammunition, surely?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ambassadors should stick to diplomacy
    " of course we are not carrying live rounds these are friendly Halal approved stun rounds :)"
    Silly moo would probably belive it :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. If that's the case, your embassy staff should refuse to serve in any country where the local police cannot be trusted to provide a satisfactory level of security.

• Like Like x 2
  5. "US Marines ordered not to carry live ammunition while being stood outside being about as much use as a bacon sandwich at a Jewish wedding"

Whoever gave that bone order wants dropping off in Benghazi wearing bikini underwear and a Allah is a poofter tattoo.

6. Carrying on the theme...

"What are we supposed to use, man? Harsh Language?"

• Like Like x 3
  7. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

cant be any worse than me quarding a half ton of pe4 in a field 5 miles from camp with an empty weapon.

8. To be honest, I don't think it would have made much odds. Pretty much every American Death wouldn't have been saved by having rounds up the spout. The embassy car bomb was infilitrated by stealth, and the barracks consisted of a truck that wouldn't have been stopped by the sentries even if they were ready, it would have still ploughed in.

• Like Like x 1
  9. **** me sideways that's got to be up there with courageous restraint!

10. Much as I think whoever gave the order should be dragged naked into the middle of Cairo and given a weapon with no rounds,
    aren't Marines supposed to be totally nails and capable of seeing off the infidel with their bare hands?

11. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

a pick helve and a right angled torch was all needed against pira apparently :)

• Like Like x 12
  12. You may have just overlooked the shock-and-awe generated by the threat of the whistle?

I hear that it is particularly effective in the counter piracy role as well.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Your not wrong. A trusty pick helve with some guts behind it is all you ever need in a sticky situation.

Someone in the MOD should switch on and flog some of our mothballed pick helves to Uncle Sam. After all, if they were good enough to keep the Chinese PLA out of Hong Kong I am sure they would be up to the task of swatting a few revolting wogs off the perimeter fences.

In all seriousness, if this order is gen and they have been ordered to stand guard with no lead in their pencils then I'm quite comforted by the knowledge that it isn't just British headshed that need their heads surgically removed from their own arrses.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Don't forget the whistle on the little leather thingy, that may have allowed the whistle to be buttoned to your combat jacket.

And if you were really lucky you got a 'mostly lost' filter kit on the bottom of the RA Torch.

15. From the Fox News website:

Marine spokesman at Pentagon Lt Col Chris Hughes says these reports are NOT true. This is on the record:

“The Ambassador and RSO have been completely and appropriately engaged with the security situation. No restrictions on weapons or weapons status have been imposed. This information comes from the Det Commander at AMEMB Cairo.”