Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US Marine's Mother writes to the British people

It's their own fault, it you want it, lock it.
It was locked.

By pure coincidence some of stores I was in charge of, contained bolt cutters.

I can't see how the UK can be accused of criminal failure for the attack on Bastion, are the mighty USA trying to kid on that they left the security of their equipment and personnel to another nation.

Anyone who has worked with the yanks knows that simply doesn't happen, they get very nervous if you even so much as look at their kit.

Not surprising though given it's shiny appearance.

They don't have a history of the Friday afternoon G1098 check then.
Th g1098 store has little to do with second line (thank ****)

Cliff Richard

Old-Salt
I take it you have not had hands on experience of either then.

The heat of the people will make no difference to II unless they were on fire then they would show up like a roman candle. If they had on up-to-date US kit it is possible that they had a modicum of camouflage with regard to II.
What is the technology used to capture thermal images like this and is it commonly available in the British armed forces?

If it is possible to determine the consistency of a shit on a thermal imaging camera then it strikes me that 15 sweating Taliban getting through razor wire, over a raised earth work and through the fence would be quite hard to miss.

I take it you have not had hands on experience of either then.

The heat of the people will make no difference to II unless they were on fire then they would show up like a roman candle. If they had on up-to-date US kit it is possible that they had a modicum of camouflage with regard to II.
You don't know what you are talking about fella.

He does know what he's talking about. Thermal imaging in BF4 and COD works really, really well. :)
that's not the point I was trying to make. Thermal imaging works fine and is not the preserve of US military.

offog

LE
What is the technology used to capture thermal images like this and is it commonly available in the British armed forces?
It has been since 1984 or there abouts when we purchased spyglass. But hot and sweety people will not be seen any better on II then cold ones.

My question was, do they make thermal NVGs not can you see in the dark with them. You seem to think that I am questioning if they work. You seem to think that TI and II are joined but they are two different tech. Can't see the point in having II attached to TI but having TI attached to II would be of use.

Is this mong back again.

offog

LE
You don't know what you are talking about fella.
I am fully aware of how both systems work but cliff seems to think they are one and the same or work in the same way. As I am sure you know the temp of the target will have no effect on II and with addition of chemicals you can reduce the reflective nature of clothing in II.

I always liked the word Germanium.

Cliff Richard

Old-Salt
It has been since 1984 or there abouts when we purchased spyglass. But hot and sweety people will not be seen any better on II then cold ones.

My question was, do they make thermal NVGs not can you see in the dark with them. You seem to think that I am questioning if they work. You seem to think that TI and II are joined but they are two different tech. Can't see the point in having II attached to TI but having TI attached to II would be of use.
TIT

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

In answer to your question, the US allegedly have multi-spectral night vision sights but, if they do, it won't be outside JSOC. That kind of kit won't be coming to a sangar near you for several years yet.

If it is possible to determine the consistency of a shit on a thermal imaging camera then it strikes me that 15 sweating Taliban getting through razor wire, over a raised earth work and through the fence would be quite hard to miss.

The people monitoring the thermal imagers were probably taking photos instead of doing their job.