Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US Marine's Mother writes to the British people

Regardless of who posted it and whatever wrongs the US have done in the past, the letter is either valid or not. That is where the debate should be centred.

Do we as a nation/armed forces have any culpability for the loss of close to half a billion dollars of kit and lives or not, I don't have a clue as well after my time?

Wets.

lecky

War Hero
I can't see how the UK can be accused of criminal failure for the attack on Bastion, are the mighty USA trying to kid on that they left the security of their equipment and personnel to another nation.

Anyone who has worked with the yanks knows that simply doesn't happen, they get very nervous if you even so much as look at their kit.
Yep....major threats and drama's when other personnel from other nations don't get the meaning of their different coloured (or colored) bits of string/ropes and cross them.

Regardless of who posted it and whatever wrongs the US have done in the past, the letter is either valid or not. That is where the debate should be centred.

Do we as a nation/armed forces have any culpability for the loss of close to half a billion dollars of kit and lives or not, I don't have a clue as well after my time?

Wets.

Has been discussed on here and also investigated at length both by ourselves and the US, the letter is years old and the subject is No.4s/Cliff Richards go-to wanking material despite him having given plenty of evidence to suggest he was part of the reason the incident happened in the first place.

The absolute ********.

Cliff Richard

Old-Salt
If wikipedia can be trusted then it is possible that we failed (criminally?) spectacularly:
Tongan response
A September 2013 article in GQ stated that soldiers from the Tongan contingent in Afghanistan had been responsible for the section of the perimeter which was breached, and that US Marines had sometimes found members of the contingent asleep while on guard duty.[4] In October that year the acting commander of the Tongan Armed Forces stated that the Tongan force at Camp Bastion had not been required to fully man the section of Camp Bastion's perimeter through which the attackers passed.[21]The British High Commissioner to Tonga also stated that it was British, and not Tongan, personnel who were responsible for the penetrated section of the perimeter and that allegations which arose from a US Military enquiry claiming that Tongan troops had been caught sleeping while on guard duty were not correct.
September 2012 Camp Bastion raid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tonga's military size is approximately 450 troops, half of which were sent to fight in the War in Afghanistan.Serving in Camp Bastion and Camp Leatherneck.

During the September 2012 Camp Bastion raid Tonga troops were in perimeter guard towers without any night vision devices.
His Majesty's Armed Forces (Tonga) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The attackers had been informed Tower 17 would be unmanned, but the detainee reported Tower 17 trained a light towards the attackers once they were inside theperimeter. However, the attackers were able to move into a small wadi, and Tower17 didnot react further (Ex 81). An aerial view of the tower arrangement and photos of the breach point are depicted below.
http://www.hqmc.marines.mil/Portals/142/USCENTCOM Bastion Attack Investigation Redacted 15-6 Report.pdf
camp bastion attack breach point.png

The Tongans, whatever their role, were alert enough to shine a torch, but at c.170 metres distance on a moonless Afghan night they wouldn't have had a chance. I believe it would have been virtually impossible to miss 15 very hot (heavily armed & adrenalin) figures approach the fence, get through the double concertina razor wire and then over the raised earth berm, cut the fence, get through it, cross the perimeter road and disappear into the hidden gullies behind the guard towers IF they had thermal NVG.

Was it a dereliction of duty, or whatever offence, by someone to not ensure every manned tower had NVG, especially on a moonless Afghan night and after there had been c.20 known breaches of the fence over the previous 2 years?

Combined with other bedazzling failures, right back to Spring 2006, I believe it was.

Last edited:
As long as it's clear that the person (regardless of changing usernames) who brings this subject up every time was both part of airfield defence and gave pictorial evidence showing dereliction of his duty ie not providing airfield defence, then that's all that matters.

Didn't the attackers approach Bastion through the US AOR?

Also, does @Cliff Richard look like a smackrat and have a collection of chad photos from his exciting tour of stagging on and doing top cover on a convoy while having no mates?
He also provided photographic evidence of his being a grotty sex tourist, pictured next to some short-legged teen whore on a beach somewhere.

The creature.

offog

LE
thermal NVG.
Is there such a thing or are you talking about two different items of kit. Are the Tongans not responsible for providing their own kit, or renting it off others.

As for your highlighted quote from the British High Commissioner to Tonga, there is not one and has not been since 06.

Cliff Richard

Old-Salt
Is there such a thing or are you talking about two different items of kit.
I don't know the correct terms, but there is a thermal type of NVG and a light enhancing type. Examples below - each is powered and provides some magnification.

The thermal example here shows a compound wall at 200-metres, and a 2nd in the distance at c.800m.
thermal ngv.jpg

The light enhancing image shows a compound at about 500-metres in the middle distance and another at c.900 beyond that.
nvg light enhancing.jpg

Insert 15 sweating Taliban in to either image taking in to account the open ground, double concertina razor wire, large raised earth work, 30 ft fence, open ground and perimeter road to cross.

offog

LE
I don't know the correct terms, but there is a thermal type of NVG and a light enhancing type. Examples below - each is powered and provides some magnification.

The thermal example here shows a compound wall at 200-metres, and a 2nd in the distance at c.800m.
View attachment 252592

The light enhancing image shows a compound at about 500-metres in the middle distance and another at c.900 beyond that.
View attachment 252591

Insert 15 sweating Taliban in to either image taking in to account the open ground, double concertina razor wire, large raised earth work, 30 ft fence, open ground and perimeter road to cross.
I take it you have not had hands on experience of either then.

The heat of the people will make no difference to II unless they were on fire then they would show up like a roman candle. If they had on up-to-date US kit it is possible that they had a modicum of camouflage with regard to II.

Anyone who has worked with the yanks knows that simply doesn't happen, they get very nervous if you even so much as look at their kit.

With good reason, when I was in Camp Buering some thieving brit half inched almost half an iso container worth of goodies.

HHH

GCM
With good reason, when I was in Camp Buering some thieving brit half inched almost half an iso container worth of goodies.

Did you get much for it ?

offog

LE
It's their own fault, it you want it, lock it.