US Marines in Beirut

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by mukhabarat2003, Jul 20, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Marines in Beirut to evacuate Americans By ZEINA KARAM, Associated Press Writer

BEIRUT, Lebanon - U.S. Marines landed in Beirut Thursday to help evacuate Americans onto a Navy ship bound for Cyprus in the second mass U.S exodus from the battle-torn country.

About 40 U.S. Marines arrived at a beach just north of Beirut in a landing craft and picked up 300 Americans who they ferried to the amphibious assault ship USS Nashville just off the coast. The Nashville is supposed to sail for Cyprus with about 1,000 Americans.

Some evacuees were Lebanese-Americans who had taken their children to their homeland for the first time, only to be surprised by the fighting that erupted after Hezbollah militants captured two Israeli soldiers.

Hundreds of people, some with shirts draped over their heads to protect themselves from the sun, gathered on the beach. A U.S. Embassy official, speaking through a megaphone, pleaded for patience, reassuring the crowd that all those who registered to be evacuated would be assisted.

"We are frustrated and disappointed, but we are O.K.," said Bob Elazon, an Illinois resident who complained the U.S. evacuation was badly organized.

Elazon, who left his native Lebanon 34 years ago, was with his 20-year-old daughter, Anna, who was visiting the country for the first time. His wife departed just before the fighting erupted.

The first plane carrying U.S. evacuees landed outside Baltimore early Thursday, and eager family members waited to greet the 145 Americans aboard the charter flight from Cyprus.

Some 900 Americans arrived in Cyprus early Thursday aboard a luxury cruise ship — the first mass U.S. evacuation from Lebanon since the Israeli airstrikes started more than a week ago.

It was among dozens of cruise ships evacuating thousands of foreigners from Lebanon. Some 8,000 of 25,000 U.S. citizens in Lebanon have asked to leave. So many people were leaving Lebanon that boats were forced to line up outside Beirut harbor and had to wait before docking in nearby Cyprus.

Exhausted and shaken, the Americans stood in line at the harbor in Larnaca, dragging their luggage and their children as they waited to be told where they would sleep and when they might leave. Many worried about relatives left behind in Lebanon.

"This war is unfair. It's unfair if you see buildings fall and there are people inside," said Mona Kharbouche, a mother of two who said she had left behind her mother, two sisters and a brother.

Elderly people in wheelchairs, a young woman on a stretcher and her right arm in a cast, and women with toddlers were the first to disembark from the Orient Queen nearly two hours after it tied up.

Catherine Haidar said she had been visiting her husband's native Lebanon with their four daughters, ages 9-17, for the first time in 13 years. They were staying at house that shook from the bombings.

"I didn't want to leave because I thought that if there were 25,000 Americans in Lebanon, maybe the Israelis would think twice about what they were hitting," said Haidar, of Orange County, Calif.

Ann Shebbo, a U.S. citizen who lives in the United Arab Emirates, said she and her husband left relatives behind in the Shouf Mountains.

"There is a guilt feeling about leaving. I wanted to leave because of my children," said Shebbo. "The Lebanese people should not suffer this way."

The Americans departed two days after the first Europeans left on ships. An estimated 13,000 foreign nationals have been evacuated from the war-torn country.

Brig. Gen. Carl Jensen, who is coordinating the U.S. evacuation, said more than 6,000 Americans will have been taken out of Lebanon by the weekend. The Nashville is one of several Navy ships assisting with the evacuations. Military helicopters have flown some 200 Americans to Cyprus.

Amid complaints the U.S. effort had lagged, American officials made clear that fears about Americans traveling on roads in Beirut, especially at night, and on roads to Syria had led to some of the delays.

Most evacuees are leaving by sea as officials from several countries deemed the overland route to Syria too dangerous and Israel knocked Beirut's airport out of service last week by bombing its runways.

Shebbo, now in Cyprus, said she and her husband had struggled to get information from the U.S. Embassy in Lebanon, and had found out about the boat from people in the United States. For four days, they inhaled the fumes from a bombed power plant two miles from where they had been staying.

Others echoed her complaints about the U.S. Embassy.

"The guard was so rude and said there was no evacuation plan, " Michael Russo, 23, of Tucson, Ariz, of his visit to the embassy. "On Wednesday and Thursday I asked them if there was a plan and they looked at me like I was crazy.

Associated Press Writer Maria Sanminiatelli in Larnaca, Cyprus, contributed to this story.
  2. I suppose that if one of their helicopters comes a cropper they can make a film with Euan McGregor sporting a jarhead haircut.....oh wait, they already did.

I know, they could make one with Samuel L Jackson as a marine rupert doing the right thing and then getting charged and being defended by his old Nam buddy Tommy Lee Jones..oh wait, they already did
  3. yeah , I know then they could have Charlie Sheen and Michael Bhein as Navy Seals shouting yeeha and talking about ragheads...oh wait they already did that one too
  4. "But then I thought - feck this for a game of soldiers I won't be the first Yank to die for Hezbollah - where's my star spangled rescue taxi out of here?"
  5. Anybody catch the faux pas on BBC news the other night?

Camera shows some young girls in a pushchair, cuts quickly to their Mother's face and commentator says, ' Mrs ??????? a Briton with family in Lebanon was visiting with her three triplets'

Are they available in any other quantities or is it just me.......?
  6. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Good luck to Uncle Sam's Misguided Children on their return to the Barbary Coast - Semper Fi guys.

Le Chevre

PS...did I miss them marching down to the river singing the 'Mickey Mouse Fan Club' song yet ? :D

(Feck me I've been edited.....PTP, was it the use of the offensive pro-word 'Sock puppet ' ? :? )
  7. In the film he does the "right thing" but Im fairly sure that machine gunning crowds and getting away with it isnt the right thing. He might champion the cause of the pawn in the political games of the time. But he still shot up un-armed civilians. (and saved old glory :lol: _
  8. yes I know, I used "right thing" insofaras the film maker's opinion and bias was concerned. The film made me puke :puker:
  9. No Goatie, it was taking out the refernces to the previous 'misguided' post you quoted.

10. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Hmmm....go figure...Seven million Americans of Jewish descent against how many Lebanese-Americans ( even though they include Gen John Abizaid and Paul Anka , both of whom I've actually heard!)...whose voice gets heard loudest on Capitol Hill ?....yeah, sorry, .... I need to find a new record....

Oh, and BTW.....Aid per capita to Israel ? $230 a head annually.
    .......................Aid per capita to Lebanon ? $60 a head annually
    Source (yes, its a bit dated now)

Go figure......

Not to say their innate wheeler-dealer entrepreneurial skills :)

Lee Shaver
  11. you actually listen to Paul Anka?
  12. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

No sah...I listen to Evanescence and Pete Tong (get hip to the that cat...)....but like you, I've heard of Paul Anka but did not appreciate he was a proud Lebanese Merkin, like General Abizaid... :-D

( and Cher's Armenian ! )

Le Chevre ( trivia to the carriage trade, by Appt)
  13. get down on yo' bad self.......I listen to Evenwhatsit daughter said they should rename themselves Welsh Smell. I wonder what the marines listen to as they come in on their whirlybirds
  14. edited wrong thread
  15. and I thought a merkin was a pubic wig? do they make them in Beirut?