US Marines Father Sues Funeral Protesters

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by india-juliet, Jun 7, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. An interesting story just off the Wire from the States:

GREENBELT, Md. - The father of a Marine whose funeral was picketed by anti-gay protesters from a fundamentalist Kansas church filed an invasion-of-privacy suit against the demonstrators Monday.

It is believed to be the first lawsuit brought by a serviceman's family against Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kan., whose members routinely demonstrate at military funerals around the country.

Albert Snyder of York, Pa., the father of Lance Cpl. Matthew A. Snyder, is seeking unspecified damages. The younger Snyder, 20, died March 3 after an accident in the Anbar province of Iraq. He was buried in Westminster, Md.

"We think it's a case we can win because anyone's funeral is private," Albert Snyder's lawyer Sean Summers said. "You don't have a right to interrupt someone's private funeral."

After filing the suit, Snyder said at a news conference that he hoped a hefty judgment would leave the church members unable to afford travel for more protests.

"I want it to stop," he said of the protests. "I didn't know there were people in the world who did that."

Members of Westboro say the military deaths in Iraq are God's punishment for America's tolerance of gays. They typically carry signs with slogans such as "God Hates Fags" and "Thank God for IEDs," a reference to the roadside bombs used by insurgents.

The church has inspired dozens of state laws banning funeral protests, including a Maryland law that did not go into effect until after Snyder's memorial.

Shirley Phelps-Roper, a spokeswoman for the small congregation, said it is the first time Westboro has been sued by a Soldier's family.
  2. Good for him. I hope these fag hating scum bag god botherers are nailed.
  3. For once i just wish the Americans would be less level headed and firebomb these people, frankly they are worse than the "islamic" extremist's who hide behind the koran to pursue violence and hatred.
  4. Saw a news report a while back on these clowns. Apparantly, local Hells Angels chapters are now preventing these demonstrators disrupting the funerals. As if the families are not suffering enough without Christian Fundamentalists acting like Muslims!
  5. Hope he wins - cnuts!!
  6. Fair play to the hells angels. Those b*stards are twisted.
  7. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

There's a time & a place for protest's & a funeral is'nt one of them!These 'people'should be ashamed of themselves.
  8. You Know...I could grow to like Hells Angels.....
  9. They're not actually Hell's Angels, though doubtess some members are participating. They're actually called the Patriot Guard or Patriot Riders, and they have a website.

10. And here's the link, in case anyone's curious! Good site. Thanks for providing the name, C_T. I couldn't remember it for the life of me.

Patriot Guard

Check out the girl piper in the glengarry on the home page. :D
  11. The FBI has them on their Terror Watch List, and is classed as a hate group by most organizations. If they commit even the slightest act of physical violence, the Feds will descend on them like locusts. However, I don't want to see them turn violent, because then someone innocent gets hurt.
  12. What many dont understand is that Phelps's Group has many Lawyers as members. Ever wonder how they finance themselves? One of the things they do at these protests is try to provoke Physical violence against them. Next thing is a law-suit for money. I hope this Father & Many other Bereaved Parents, Wives, etc. form a Class-action suit against Phelps & Westboro Baptist et al
  13. Well Good on the Patriot Guard, and I hope they beat the living day lights out of those fundamentalist swine who can not leave a family to greive in peace!
    So there are lawyers, of course there are, now then, there are ways arround that, but I would not know what they would be?
    Surely something like descend on them like the proverbial bats out of hell, faces obscured sufficiently, make sure no video cameras or recording kit survives the contact, through searching required, and then a speedy bug out dragging those wastes of space off to the nearest dung heap where they belong?
    I am sure that there are enough ex regs who will have a clue in the band of the Patriot Guard.
    And if the local PD have any decency they might be unable to hear, help or notice the fundamentalists being delt with the correct way!
  14. Here's the law firm founded by Fred Phelps, the leader of Westboro Baptist, himself.