• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

US Marines end tour early

#1
... the decision followed an ambush on the company's convoy by a vehicle-borne improvised explosive device ... the Marines retaliated and some civilians were killed.
...
Gilmore said, "The unit responded to the ambush and the local population perceptions of that response have damaged the relationship between the local population and the Marine special operations company."
Now, the top general in Afghanistan has expelled the Marines.
 
#2
To bad! A tough start for a newly formed unit.
 
#3
Trip_Wire said:
To bad! A tough start for a newly formed unit.
Sounds more like a bad start. It's pretty uncommon for a whole unit to be expelled from any locale much less an active operation.

On the ironic side someone mentioned yesterday how much the USMC and the British Army had in common...
 
#4
sawdusty said:
Trip_Wire said:
To bad! A tough start for a newly formed unit.
Sounds more like a bad start. It's pretty uncommon for a whole unit to be expelled from any locale much less an active operation.

On the ironic side someone mentioned yesterday how much the USMC and the British Army had in common...
I think they meant that both formations looked down there noses at the US Army....
 
#5
wet_blobby said:
sawdusty said:
Trip_Wire said:
To bad! A tough start for a newly formed unit.
Sounds more like a bad start. It's pretty uncommon for a whole unit to be expelled from any locale much less an active operation.

On the ironic side someone mentioned yesterday how much the USMC and the British Army had in common...
I think they meant that both formations looked down there noses at the US Army....
JINGO said:
I always suspected the US Marines were far more closely akin to the British Army inthought and deed than the US Army. Congratualtions and again thank you.
FRom this thread:http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=61455.html

They were indeed looking down their noses. I don't believe the view is quite so scenic now.
 
#7
I also think there was a lot of diplomatic pressure, from the President of Afghanistan, as well as well as other government officials as a whole, to remove the unit from the area. The Army also has responded to such situations pretty much the same way.
 
#8
Trip_Wire said:
I also think there was a lot of diplomatic pressure, from the President of Iraq, as well as well as other Iraqi government officials as a whole, to remove the unit from the area. The Army also has responded to such situations pretty much the same way.
Rather an odd move, considering that they were in Afghanistan. ;)
 
#9
Thanks, for the correction crabtastic, I guess I had Iraq on the brain! Corrected!
 
#10
Trip_Wire said:
Thanks, for the correction crabtastic, I guess I had Iraq on the brain! Corrected!
S'alright. Your President keeps getting the two mixed up- when the guy running the show can't tell the difference, what hope have the rest of us got?
 

Latest Threads

Top