US Marines Become "Muleskinners"

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by jumpinjarhead, Aug 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,540432,00.html

2. I bet thats an interesting course to explain to your buddys when the JI's come through the post

3. The Thai Army has a mule Sqn in Chiang Mai.
    It grows in size with all the mules they capture in border ambushes.
    john
    As for the art of coaxing, memory says the lads from the Regt could show the way.

4. [​IMG]

I dare say he's pulled worse in his time... oh, is that my coat? Thank you very much.

TAXI!!!

5. Not new, Mule Handling course used to be attended by Royal when on exercise in Pickel Meadows. Evidently it's tried and tested and still works...though i wonder how long it'll be before the PC/animal welfare/Richard North group get on the case and demand an "MRAP"/V-bottomed donkey....

6. :D

He'll be an expert on that as well then!

7. I met an Indian copper while in Croatia with the UN, back home he was in charge of the police elephant squad, beat that one! imagine stable duties there.

8. There was still a mule troop in Hong Kong in the early seventies at least.

On exercise in the New Territories one summer one of the buggers died of heat exhaustion. The stink and flies at the check point where poor Muffin lay was truly 'orrible.

GrandadsMOB

PS Is it still the case that Muffin the Mule is a sexual offence :?

9. Iirc, the RAVC are still supporting teams of soldiers, messing about with mules in Afghan mountains

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

We sent a lad on the course in 85 for our tour in the Falklands, no mules but a fun course allegedly.

11. affectionately know as the ass-packing course!

12. Didn't a British Cavalry unit in the Balkans end up patrolling on horseback?

13. a good chum of mine, ex Household division, waxes lyrical about when he trained with the Selous scouts and fired 66's when on horseback, also lying the horses down to fire the gimpy over the top - lone ranger eat your heart out!!

14. 14th Army used thousands of mules in Burma in WWII, but learned to cut their vocal cords 'cos they were so noisy.

Some of a certain age might remember the 'Out of Town' programme on Sundays with Jack Hargreaves. There's an episode on DVD where Jack watches an old RAVC vet do the op at a horse sanctuary sometime in the early 1980's. Apparently the vet once did 200 mules in one go on the docks in India, missed one, and it later got 20 men killed.

(I'm not that old. My dad's a Jack hargreaves fan)

15. I read somewhere that the mule silencing operations didn't always work, some poor squaddy would be leading a loaded mule up and down some hellish mountains, Japs everywhere...'Eeyore Eeyore...' Then they'd have to work out what to do with both load and noisy mule...