US Marine Sapper Video--Tough Duty

Discussion in 'US' started by jumpinjarhead, Aug 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. All honour and glory to the jarheads with steel balls who work EOD. :salut: EVERYONE of those guys (Army, Navy, Marine Corps & our allies) who work defusing IEDs in Asscrackistan are top blokes in my book. :worship: I woudn't have the nerve to do it.:tp:

P.S.: I thought it interesting that someone in the State-run Media (All Obama Channel, etc.) has slapped a tag on this video clip called "Sarah Palin Resignation". Wishful thinking maybe by certain libs?

2. I have nothing but deep admiration & respect for anyone who does that job, British or American! There was a similar program about British troops doing the same job a few weeks ago. They must have nerves of steel and incredible fortitude.
    I wonder if the governments could not find a safer way of doing this, a bit like the WW2 tank with a contraption like a flail of chains on the front that literally beat a cleared path!
  3. Looks just like "hurt locker"
  4. I defer to EODMatt and other experts, but in the same fashion as air power will never take and hold ground and that infantry is needed, I think the same principle applies here. Modern "war" is a exquisite blend of hi-tech and the same dirty, wet, scary work done by soldiers on the ground since time immemorial.
  5. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

Not just on the ground. In the maritime world you can have all the expensive kit, best radar and latest comms but still need sailors to work wires and ropes and when fire breaks out someone is getting in a fire suit, on with the air tanks and taking a hose in to the compartment.
  6. Indeed so-no slight intended of our sea-going cousins.
  7. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

No slight felt just pointing out that we all need to be careful not to think the latest shinny piece of kit or technology is the answer to all our ills. In my world of Information Exploitation, Assurance and Management we often forget about the individual.
  8. Semper Fi Marines...