US manufacturing hits 26-year low

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by KGB_resident, Nov 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7706905.stm

Maybe it is time to support American industry? Support our American friends - buy American.

2. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

What's manufacturing like in Russia, Sergey? Is it in the same poo as the rest of your economy?

3. From what I understand Russia makes most of its foreign reserves from Oil and gas.

if we lose dependency on Russian Oil and Gas then that will go down.

4. Yep really bad news the world is heading into a severe global recession were looking at 15% unemployment and 15$ a barrel oil next year.

5. American manufacturing (like UK) would have been in decline anyway. Obviously far cheaper to have factories in third world countries, whilst we all get filthy rich trading derivatives..........

6. That happens we can expect Russia to barge its way to the front of the IMF bail-out line, and Spetsnaz on the streets of Moscow in order to suppress the angry crowds who want their wages/pensions etc.

7. I would do Sergey, but Russian ammo is cheaper. :wink:

8. An anti-American post by Sergei?

I'm shocked!

Perhaps you'd like your mail-order brides and strippers back?

Really Sergei, Russia should concentrate less on jealous envy and bitterness over loss of empire and more on working on your own problems.

9. So you don't actually have an answer to the points raised in the 1st post then?

10. not surprised given the opinions expressed on some (very right wing) US forums regarding US cars and how bad they are (especially GM regarding its request for a bailout) and how they should be just allowed to fail Rover style

11. Sure, I'll answer an idiotic post.

Capitalism; you want the great benefits then deal with the boom-bust cycles. Learn a lesson from each one, recover and move on.

The US will do it's recession thing, the world won't end and it'll come out of it. We can compare the GDPs of Russia and the US if you'd like. Or the per capita incomes.

Or the fact the US economy gets sick the rest of the world gets just as sick. When the Russian economy gets sick everyone gets more prostitutes, strippers and mail-order brides.

Good enough for you?

12. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I don't need education on the faults and problems on the West - certainly not from a stirer like Sergey.

I would far rather have an accurate description of the truth of things in Russia; something difficult to get, something Sergey is in a good position to be able to do and something I would listen to. I have been trying to get Sergey to get the hint for a while.

If he started providing that type of info for us, I might start listening to him if he dropped the odd thread in for us to bite at. At the moment all he is is someone to ignore.

13. Just about, far more constructive than just telling Sergei he is a cnut :D

14. Unfortunately, mate, bankrupcy of Lehman Bros. seriously affected production of wooden spoons. However thanks to our American friends Ford plant near St.Peterburg is working full steam.

15. So, you don't see any problem. Well.

Morale: dependence from American economy should be lowered by all means. As for Russia then (for example) dependence from gas supplies is not so important.