• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

US LOOKS AT SUPPLY LINES TO AFGHANISTAN

Below is an extract from a recent press report. I would think that if Pakistan goes bad supplying British Troops will be a nightmare.

Still, Morrell said the U.S. military had begun looking at alternate routes to send supplies to its troops in Afghanistan in case the political crisis in Pakistan makes current supply lines unavailable.

The U.S. military sends 75 percent of its supplies for the Afghanistan war through or over Pakistan, including 40 percent of the fuel sent to troops, the Defense Department said.

"There are efforts under way right now to figure out contingency supply lines to our troops in Afghanistan if it becomes necessary to alter the way we now support our troops in Afghanistan," Morrell said.

"In light of the fact that there is civil unrest in Pakistan, in light of the fact that there is a state of emergency in Pakistan, we feel it is responsible, given the importance of the Pakistani supply lines to our operations in Afghanistan, to have a contingency plan

Ive got a Tom Tom Sat nav if anyone needs to know different routes into Afghan.

At the next convenient junction DO A U-TURN :!:

So that'swhy the lights are on at MOD late at night..............

Bubbles_Barker said:
So that'swhy the lights are on at MOD late at night..............
it could be illegal immigrant cleaners or undercover journos pretending to be security guards going through the Top secret Documents in the paper shredder.

Terror threat to supply lines as British gear risks Pakistani roads
· Afghanistan-bound heavy kit routed via militant port
· Islamabad denies problem with Karachi gateway

Simon Tisdall and Ewen MacAskill
Thursday March 9, 2006
The Guardian

The supply lines of British forces deploying to southern Afghanistan will operate through Pakistan, putting them at risk of attack by Islamist extremists, according to British government sources.
Heavy equipment, including armoured vehicles, dismantled helicopters and camp-building material that cannot be airlifted, will be shipped to the Pakistan port of Karachi and onwards to Helmand province in southern Afghanistan. Other equipment will be flown direct to Kandahar or taken by road from Kabul.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/military/story/0,,1726762,00.html

eveyoz said:
Litotes said:
My tip is to go to the archives and dust off the files marked "Berlin Airlift".

:evil:

Litotes

And the dakotas that did it cos we aint got any spare aircraft now!!
Theres a spare Dakota at the memorial flight in RAF Coningsby that still flies, who says the government hasnt enough aircraft.

I saw a C-46 Commando at an airshow here in the States several years ago. I believe that it's still flying...

The_IRON said:
eveyoz said:
Litotes said:

Litotes

Theres a spare Dakota at the memorial flight in RAF Coningsby that still flies, who says the government hasnt enough aircraft.
...and a Lancaster bomber is operated by the Battle of Britain Flight!

No problem there then!

Litotes

It would seem that the countries to the north of Afghanistan are neither predisposed to western views or hostile these being Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan. China with a small border is over to the east and Iran to the west! Even if these countries could be persuaded to help it would be at a price and even then the terrain is mountainous and not too well developed from what I can see on the map? At least the Russians had a secure route in and out. If Pakistan really went bad I would think we would be really pushed. Does Bin Laden have a better tactical grasp than what we do?

This will present a new dimension to the Afghan fighting should resupply become a real problem. The next problem would be just how do we get out.

:lol: Shake hands with Iran. Oh!Russia and China have done it first, the U.S. polis. should have leaned to play chess as good as the Russians. So the U.S. will have to hire some very large aircraft from Russia, with fuel.. :lol:

Litotes said:
The_IRON said:
eveyoz said:
Litotes said:

Litotes

...and a Lancaster bomber is operated by the Battle of Britain Flight!

No problem there then!

Litotes
I know the guy who flies that, sort of.

The problem with an alternative route is that is would still need a seaport for the really heavy stuff.

Never should have agreed to independance, let alone partition.

Latest Threads