US lied over napalm use in Iraq

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Proximo, Jun 17, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Quite apart from the ludicrous comment regrding precision napalm weapons (or 'firebombs') in the last paragraph, I am frankly somewhat astonished that people seem surprised at this news. Is it the use of the emotive word 'napalm', which evokes Vietnam-era images of naked kids running down roads, or is it simply that the vast majority of civvies don't understand that flame is a viable tactical weapon?

Answers on a suitably burnt postcard please...

2. Well I’m not impressed that the Americans lied to us and I’m not surprised that our government lied to us, but so what if they used napalm? In a battle you must always use the best tactics and weapons available to bring the fight to a swift end with the minimal amount of casualties from your own side. If that means using napalm then I say let the cu*ts burn, they’re always welcome to surrender and many of them did.

3. Can you post a link please Darth

4. Sorry barbs - the full story is here! :D

5. Reminds me of the old saying - if you play with fire.......

6. Fuel-Air Explosive rocks!!

They should be greatful they wern't white Phos'ed ]:)

7. Technically there's a difference between napalm and FAE, one burns and the other explodes - but you're right, they're both pretty spectacular and you wouldn't want either of them in your lounge! 8O :? :oops: :wink:

8. Well the idea that a country that has never said that it wouldn't use a certain type of weapon would then go and use that weapon against a military target away from civillians. I'm appalled.

What frigging world do these people live on? The Yanks have never said they wouldn't use fuel-air bombs, they only used them against military targets, no civvies were harmed in the using of this weapon, where's the problem?

9. The issue is surely not that they were using Mk 77s (as Darth said, that's just the press picking up on the N-word), but that they misled the government of their most loyal ally?

Who, in turn, withheld this information for as long as possible?

Then again - I guess it's about par for the course for this government...

smithie

10. there is no "issue", just sanctimonous posturing from a bunch of leftie liberal cnuts.

lets look at some facts here. a UK minister (minor one at that) asks the UK department of defence if they use these weapons. automatic response by US civil servant "how the feck would i know" he asks some local military bod, who says "don't know, maybe, will get back to you, oh and why do you ask?" US civil servant tells him and US mil bod, thinks, "right, well that's at the top of my to do list!"

two months later they get an answer.

so, they didn't lie, did they, they just didn't drop everything and bend over backwards to anwser some stupid question, from a faint hearted UK politican.

11. Gentlemen, who cares, i mean really? the septics have always done their own thing, regardless of what we, or the rest of the world thinks, besides as long as it gets the job done as goku so perfectly put it let the cnuts burn. More hate for them less for us

12. I take it that this was used on the same insurgent types who have a habit of slowly removing peoples heads with a knife?

Yanks were being too kind to them IMHO.

13. Consult me please! My English is poor and I'm not native English-speaker.

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/story.jsp?story=647397

I understand it this way: Americans hadn't used napalm any time (only sometimes).

If napalm was never used then why word never hasn't been sounded by highly esteemed mr.Ingram?

Why mr.Ingram hasn't said something like this: The US confirmed to my officials that they had never used MK77s in Iraq?

Probably because mr.Ingram reserves possible explanation. If American would say that they informed Britons in time then mr.Ingram could say that he simply misunderstood the message.

It's a very sharpminded move I should say. Mr.Ingram is very talented politician.

14. I love the smell of napalm in the morning :D

15. Reminds me of my response upon hearing abunch of tree-hugging lefties complaning about how the colaition removed the Iraqi front lines during the first 91 gulf war.
    The americans used an armoured bulldozzer to fill in the Iraqi trench lines.

When that came out the lefties complained about it. My resposne was something like: "Fine, here's a rifle, go clear them out the old fashioned way. If you don't want to do it, shut up."