US launches missile attacks against Syrian targets. 07/04/17

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Porkbrain, Apr 7, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Up to 50 cruise missiles targeting a Syrian airbase in response to chemical attacks, announced on the BBC website at 02:30.

Oh heck, what will this lead to over the coming days, a shedload of grief I imagine?

Trump did seem to be cosying up to Vladimir Putin recently, I do wonder if the Russians will respond with words or actions.

Syria war: US launches missile strikes following chemical 'attack' - BBC News

ETA. This has already been mentioned on the Syria thread, so Mods please delete if you wish.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    • Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Golan Heights. Oil. Google it.

Bannon going and now this? A complete policy change in 48 hrs....

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

The Golan Heights, occupied by that virulently anti-American state of Israel

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 3
  4. I'm not a fan of President Trump, but in this instance - good on him. Using chemicals on civilians has consequences, and hiding behind the Russians won't work. That's a Trump policy I can support.

That makes one.

• Like Like x 30
  5. Here we go again. When will the west learn?

• Like Like x 12
  6. Flying in to neighboring Turkey at 0330 this morning, we were met with armored cars (sorry, 'tanks') on the apron. I guess they're a bit jumpy; moreover Erdoğan had issues a threat to re-invade Syria yesterday, in order to give his flagging referendum campaign that Nationalist boost. Now he's been out maneuvered by both Trump and Putin.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  7. When will the west learn what?

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  8. To stop getting involved in the ME.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Bit hard since the ME...or at least most of its inhabitants, are wedged firmly up Europe's pipe.

• Like Like x 14
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. Oh. That old chestnut. Yeah.

• Like Like x 3
  11. The headline came up on my phone "US launches missile strikes"

I did have a brief tightening of the sphincter thinking it might have been against N Korea

• Like Like x 11
    • Funny Funny x 8
  12. Seems rather justified does this one.

• Like Like x 8
  13. To ignore chemical attacks on civilians. We did so well at ignoring them when Saddam was up to it. The world ignored genocide in Rwanda, they generally got away with it in the Balkans.

I am all for leaving the moddle east alone but when chemical weapons are actually used then that is a good time to act. Amazingly I say well done to Trump for doing something the world has ignored for far too long.

• Like Like x 27
  14. Some posts removed. This in CA, so post accordingly. This area is for serious discussion only. If you want to make jokes or post memes use the NAAFI. Posts containing conspiracy theory drivel, fake news and similar will be deleted and may attract points.

• Like Like x 13
  15. From my point of view it is clearly staged, rather demonstrative
    'attack'. The Russians were warned about it in advance (and thus Assad was warned as well). Damage for Assad forces is symbolic but Trump demostrated 'force' and fooled many hard-liners at home.
    I don't think that the 'attack' will change anything in Syrian conflict.
    Cooperation between Russia and the USA will continue. Assad step by step will take control over whole Syria.

• Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 7