US kills 7 insurgents in surgical stike

If that's a surgical strike let's hope they never get to dishing out their casual, sloppy, or negligent strikes.

R

really?_fascinating

Surgical strike - I assume that is US speak for bombing a doctor's surgery?

"We had to destroy the ville to save it"

Before everyone gets carried away , with what is being reported as another example of "smart" systems being defeated by the sloppy link , can we wait for some proper post-strike analysis?

Agreeing with Frenchperson here. Nothing surgical about a 2000lb JDAM. I hate these terms that make warfighting seem clinical and bloodless, and I was a crab FFS. It only makes the use of force easier to employ from a political standpoint and, as we now see, no longer a method of last resort.

Channel 4 are reporting 47 dead.

US military aren't giving out details on the total.

If they were all bona fide black pyjama(?) wearing insurgents then I suspect the US military would be shouting the totals from the rooftops.

Although I agree with most of the sentiments in this thread, how civilian can you be if you have insurgents living in your house with you ? It is possible that there was a typical "kill them all - let Allah sort them out" operation, however it is also possible that the "civilians" were n't that innocent. Best wait for the facts methinks !

BRAINDRAIN said:
Although I agree with most of the sentiments in this thread, how civilian can you be if you have insurgents living in your house with you ? It is possible that there was a typical "kill them all - let Allah sort them out" operation, however it is also possible that the "civilians" were n't that innocent. Best wait for the facts methinks !
Simple experiment for you: pack your house with 2000lbs of HE, light the blue touch paper and retire. What would happen to the rest of your street?

Now list the surnames of all the neighbours that had their houses destroyed, the names of their kids and the occupation of everyone who lives there. I'd be very surprised if you could get a clean sweep. Of course, the occupation bit is somewhat easier if you live in a married quarter.

BRAINDRAIN said:

INSURGENT:
1. Rising in revolt against established authority, especially a government.
2. Rebelling against the leadership of a political party.

On these definitions, I reckon you can easily be civilian and have, for example, your family (who happen to be insurgents) living with you. The trouble is, the media have got hold of the word and it's now taking on a pejorative meaning that puts it closer to 'terrorist'. Also, who regards the US occupying forces as 'established authority' or 'government'?

From todays CNN
BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- A coalition air strike has demolished what authorities believe was an al Qaeda-linked terrorist safe house in the western Iraqi city of al-Jaramil and a man believed to be a foreign fighter facilitator was killed, Multi-National Forces officials said early Thursday.
wonder how much that airstrike cost? all that money in the hope that they 'probably killed' one man.

Latest Threads