US Iraq Troop survey

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PassingBells, Mar 1, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Recent survey of US troops in Iraq.

http://www.zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm?ID=1075

Seems that most want to leave within the year. No surprise there.

20% don't object to the use of internationally banned weapons. :roll:

85% said the U.S. mission is mainly “to retaliate for Saddam’s role in the 9-11 attacks.

Either a significant number of US troops are misinformed, or I am!

PB

2. Really how can 85% really think that the reason for the war in iraq is “to retaliate for Saddam’s role in the 9-11 attacks" someone obviously got the memos mixed up!

3. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

So 45% think it is.....

Merkator - if you are watching, what say you??. For the remainder connect to Israel has demanded a change in British law and have a look at a discussion on international legal implications

4. lets face it. the main reason saddam was toppled was so boy bush could be seen doing something to 'protect america' and to appease the repuke (republican) blood lust for vengence over 9/11,
    and getting the US oil corporates control of the Iraq black stuff that they had been after for years was a nice bonus too.

when bush said 'Mission Accomplished' he ment his re-election, 'Four More Years'.

5. .. I think this statistic is very frightening...

Unbelieveable ignorance..., I naively believed that the US service personnel serving in Iraq, understood why they were really there... 9/11 was a smoke screen!!

6. That 85 % is a really worrying figure, is it something in the water or some septic propoganda machine?

7. It's not just the troops. It seems to be pretty much accepted as fact in right-wing circles in the US that Saddam had definite links to Al Qaeda, and by extension had a role in the attacks.
    I've yet to see any non-American source that supports these claims. For example, one article I read recently (http://www.townhall.com/opinion/columns/WThomasSmithJr/2006/01/16/182446.html) quotes a report that Bin Laden met with Iraqi intelligence in '94-'95 and asked for support. There is no evidence that such support was given. However, the writer spots a serious flaw: There is no evidence that support was NOT given. Aha. Nevertheless, he goes on to mention that further requests for support were made in the years after. Proof positive for him is the training camps that US troops raided - after the invasion - and his US intelligence and army sources that say that there is 'no question' that Saddam was doing all this. So there you go. Fact. Just like the WMDs.

8. Infact, the whole point of the invasion of Iraq was the re-instatement of the American foreign policy known as the 'twin pillars'.

W told me personaly, so it must be right :D

9. :lol: :lol:Agent_Smith...I could'nt of said it better myself,
    America's version of revenge is sweet maybe? :evil: with some politics thrown in....ohhh and the oil of course.
    DRSteealth-'boy bush' is not a very liked boy in America right now, :!: (although hes in india) 8O ,they dont like him either do they?

ask an american....he'll tell ya he agrees with the british :p :p

10. The poll is bogus. They only polled 900 some odd soldiers and wont reveal more info about how they did the poll. Zogby is a democratic pollster. My guess is that they polled the REMF's lounging about Camp Victory.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Scary because we all know, that OIL is the main reason to be anywhere!

9/11 was a very comfortable way of explaining many issues that covered the Bush administrations failures!

12. 1. WTF do you know about polling?
    2. You haven't bothered to pay $20 to find out what methodology they used.

Hence, any critique you have regarding the survey is nothing more than a hodgepodge of unwarranted assumptions.

The numbers are certainly worrying. As it stands though, I'll reserve judgement until I get hold of the study.

13. How is that different from Brits, French and Germans lapping up conspiracy theories on 911 that made this a bestseller in Europe?

14. Interesting definition of bestseller. :)

15. I'd be rather surprised if 85% of british troops believed the 911 conspiracy theories.