• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

US Iraq chief warns of long war

The head of US forces in Iraq, Lt Gen David Petraeus, has told the BBC that fighting the insurgency is a "long term endeavour" which could take decades.
Speaking to the BBC's John Simpson in Baquba, Gen Petraeus said there was evidence that the recent troops surge was producing gains on the ground.

But he warned that US forces were engaged in a "tough fight" which will get "harder before it gets easier".

His comments come as US calls for a rapid troop withdrawal gather strength.

Gen Petraeus was keen to emphasise that the ongoing unrest in Iraq is not something he expects to be resolved overnight.

"Northern Ireland, I think, taught you that very well. My counterparts in your [British] forces really understand this kind of operation... It took a long time, decades," he said.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/6285156.stm

.and we didn't have a so-called friendly Government working against us either.

PartTimePongo said:
The head of US forces in Iraq, Lt Gen David Petraeus, has told the BBC that fighting the insurgency is a "long term endeavour" which could take decades.
Speaking to the BBC's John Simpson in Baquba, Gen Petraeus said there was evidence that the recent troops surge was producing gains on the ground.

But he warned that US forces were engaged in a "tough fight" which will get "harder before it gets easier".

His comments come as US calls for a rapid troop withdrawal gather strength.

Gen Petraeus was keen to emphasise that the ongoing unrest in Iraq is not something he expects to be resolved overnight.

"Northern Ireland, I think, taught you that very well. My counterparts in your [British] forces really understand this kind of operation... It took a long time, decades," he said.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/6285156.stm

.and we didn't have a so-called friendly Government working against us either.
Maybe not actively so - but there were rumours of Charls haughey running guns across the border back in the '60s, and it was not until much later (I cannot recall the date) that the Eire gummint formally dropped their constitutional claim to the 6 counties.

When they did that, it sent a very clear "IRA - we are not behind you" signal for the first time ever.

Is there ever going to be any end to the complicating mutations of this one?

Iraqi leaders warn of catastrophe if US goes

Published: Monday July 9, 2007
Spooked by a sudden increase in calls in Washington for a rapid withdrawal of US troops from Iraq, Iraqi leaders on Monday scrambled to warn of catastrophe if their forces are left alone.
Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari led the charge, warning US lawmakers that their calls for a timetable for the departure of the 155,000 American troops could lead to the collapse of the Iraqi state and to yet more bloodshed.
"We held discussions with congressional delegations and explained to them the dangers of a rapid withdrawal, which would leave a security vacuum. It might lead to civil war, partition, collapse or a regional war," he said.
"There are some people who disagree with this assessment, but it's the responsibility of the United States and other countries to stand with the Iraqi government and the Iraqi people," he insisted.
While leaders from the Iraq's rival Sunni, Shiite and Kurdish camps disagree bitterly about many of the issues fuelling the conflict, most are clear on one thing: The Iraqi security forces are not ready to fight on alone.
Most begin their responses to the question of the troops' US presence with an obligatory nod to Iraqi national pride; no-one here wants the "occupier" to stay on forever. Nevertheless, it's far too soon for them to leave.
"Most of those in the Iraqi House of Representatives would like to see the presence of the US forces over for good," said Amira al-Baldawi, a Shiite member of Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki's ruling coalition.
"Everybody wishes them to leave, even the US forces themselves, but this initiative would be catastrophic if carried out before Iraq manages to set up its security forces," she told AFP

http://rawstory.com/news/afp/Iraqi_leaders_warn_of_catastrophe_i_07092007.html

Name one counter insurgency that didn't take a long time to sort out without resorting to eradicating the population...

Indonesia

All the places mentioned took at least least two years or more to wrap up... not exactly swift campaigns under the best of conditions.

Alsacien

LE
Khyros said:
All the places mentioned took at least least two years or more to wrap up... not exactly swift campaigns under the best of conditions.
..which is half the time we have already pi$$ed away in I-raq....

Why are amazing revelations being hailed as new? Did no-one bother reading the intelligence summaries from GW1 :?

Alsacien said:
Khyros said:
Why are amazing revelations being hailed as new? Did no-one bother reading the intelligence summaries from GW1 :?
In a word.

No.

Not where it mattered, anyway.

Alsacien said:
Khyros said:

Too many Tom Clancy afficianados amongst the decision makers unfortunately... in his books technology and SOCOM make quick work of the opponent and the locals happily embrace Western democracy. Idealism trounces rational debate...

Latest Threads