US-Iran talks within weeks

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, May 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/BF552B1C-DB3A-4B0C-9B6A-F73C37980A64.htm

2. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

headed up in The Independent earlier this month:
    http://comment.independent.co.uk/leading_articles/article2504616.ece

Leading article:
    Tehran holds the key to Washington's exit from Iraq
    Published: 03 May 2007

It will be interesting to see if domestic lobbies ( not least AIPAC) manage to derail this. Should not underestimate the political courage this must have taken.....W-a-a-a-a-y overdue !

( Not-Whistlin'-Dixie - can we at least postpone Op Persian Freedom ?)

'Jaw-jaw is better than war, war '
    - WSC

Don Cabra

3. Goatman asked: can we at least postpone Op Persian Freedom ?

Possibly.

Gary Dorsch says that strong foreign capital inflows are driving up the Israeli shekel against the US dollar and the euro and levitating the Tel-Aviv 100 equities index to its all-time high.

This is happening, he says, notwithstanding that Israeli interest rates are significantly lower than their American and European counterparts:

...the "Incredible" Israel shekel is climbing to seven-year highs against the US dollar, flirting with the psychological 25 US-cents level, or 4 shekels per US dollar. Also, the Tel-Aviv 100 Index hit an all-time high of 1,100 on May 3rd, more than tripling in value from four years ago, after Israel's economy expanded at an 8% rate in Q'4, exceeded only by emerging giants in China, India, and Russia.

The "Incredible" Israeli shekel's climb to 25 US-cents comes amid reports that Syria is positioning thousands of missiles on its border with Israel. Iran and Syria have restocked Hizbullah with thousands of missiles and rockets in defiance of UN resolutions, and Sheik Nasrallah is once again capable of striking Tel-Aviv. Iranian backed Hamas has transferred tons of explosives and missiles into the Gaza Strip and is firing kassam rockets into southern Israel on a daily basis.

Dorsch also says that the smart money says that Olmert and Kadima are on the way out, Netanyahu and Likud are coming in.

Dorsch says that Netanyahu was behind a cut in corporate marginal income tax rates that may be at least partially responsible for this boom.

He adds that Netanyahu has big plans:

"This is just a message that we are very eager to pull in investments and we are willing to go the distance, probably even more than any other country right now in the world," said Netanyahu in April 2004. He laid out his vision of Israel as a land-bridge between Asia and Europe, competing with the Suez Canal by building a rail line between its Ashdod Port on the Mediterranean Sea and Eilat on the Red Sea.

Prominent American tycoons are talking up the Israeli investment boom:

In June 2006, the Oracle of Omaha, Warren Buffet of Berkshire Hathaway purchased an 80% share in Iscar, an Israeli metalworking company, for $4.1 billion, his first acquisition outside of the US. "With this purchase, we are sending an indirect message to the world for foreign investors to make similar investments," said Charlie Munger, Buffet's partner at Berkshire Hathaway.

"Berkshire Hathaway and Israel will be here forever, as Israel and the US will be here forever," said Buffet himself. Several weeks later, US billionaire Donald Trump declared, "I am confident that Israel's future can only go in one direction, and that is up." Trump purchased a site in upscale Ramat Gan to build the 70-story "Trump Plaza Tower," next to the Israel Diamond Exchange, for $300 million. Trump also plans to build a 647-room resort hotel in the coastal town of Netanya.

"The 'Incredible' Israeli Shekel" by Gary Dorsch. 8 May 2007
    http://www.safehaven.com/article-7514.htm

It seems counterintuitive that all this money would be flowing into Israel ($21.2 bil in '06) if its owners were expecting the place to turn into a battleground.

4. Apparently last week Pres. Bush summoned a group of influential evangelical Protestant clergymen to the White House to hear him holding forth on the Iranian nuclear threat.

This is from Raw Story:

President George W. Bush met privately with Focus on the Family Founder and Chairman James Dobson and approximately a dozen Christian right leaders last week to rally support for his policies on Iraq, Iran and the so-called "war on terror."

“I was invited to go to Washington DC to meet with President Bush in the White House along with 12 or 13 other leaders of the pro-family movement," Dobson disclosed on his radio program Monday. “And the topic of the discussion that day was Iraq, Iran and international terrorism. And we were together for 90 minutes and it was very enlightening and in some ways disturbing too."

Dobson described Bush as “upbeat and determined and convinced, adding, “I wish the American people could have sat in on that meeting we had.”

Dobson went on to enumerate a series of meetings convened by Christian right leaders in Washington to discuss the supposedly existential threat to the United States from a nuclear Iran.

“I heard about this danger [from Iran] not only at the White House but from other pro-family leaders that I met during that week in Washington," he said. “Many people in a position to know are talking about the possibility of losing a city to nuclear or biological or chemical attack. And if we can lose one we can lose ten.

"If we can lose ten we can lose a hundred," he added, “especially if North Korea and Russia and China pile on.”

Later in his broadcast, during a discussion about Iran with author and self-proclaimed “prophecy expert” Joel Rosenberg, Dobson drew a parallel between current Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmedinejad and Adolf Hitler.

“The world looked at Hitler and just didn't believe him and tried to appease him the way we're hearing in Washington today,” Dobson remarked. “You know, the President seems to me does understand this, as I told you from that meeting I had with him the other day, but even there it feels like somebody ought to be standing up and saying, ‘We are being threatened and we are going to meet this with force -- whatever's necessary.’”

Dobson continued, “Some of our listeners might not like that but I tell you, if we didn't stand up to Hitler, we'd be speaking German today.”

"Bush met with Dobson and conservative Christian leaders to rally support for Iran policy" by Max Blumenthal. 14 May 2007
    http://rawstory.com/news/2007/Bush_meets_with_Dobson_Christian_right_0514.html

Rev. Dobson's radio and television broadcasts are widely syndicated in the USA.

If he and his colleagues are responding favorably to White House suggestions to publicize the "existential threat" purportedly embodied by the current Iranian regime, I could guess that big developments could be in the works for the near future.