US intelligence: Iran nuke program frozen since 2003

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Taz_786, Dec 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://edition.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/12/03/iran.nuclear/?iref=mpstoryview

Well well well! Look's like a bit of a spanner in the works for Dubya and all the Dr Strangeloves.

However the question does arise...why would Bush declassify a report that quite frankly makes him look like a dick, especially after all his bellicose rhetoric about WW3 and Armageddon?

Maybe the intel community, aggrieved by being made a scapegoat for Iraq, decided to grow some balls and tell it straight for a change?

It would certainly explain why the war drums seem to have quietened of late.

One thing's for sure though, any sort of military action can be categorically ruled out. Not on the basis of this, no chance.

I bet all the right-wing nutjobs must be in a right quandary now lol.

Cant wait to see what Bill O'Reilly and co have to say on this one!

In fact I think i'll just head off over to Free Republic and have a look!

2. Already done on another thread dude...

3. I was reading another report about it on Here.... , and it said, amongst other things:....... A new national intelligence estimate, originally due last spring, was delayed by the need to evaluate new information, the U.S. national intelligence director, Mike McConnell, said recently. But most analysts say that new information is mostly just Iran's political developments and recent U.N. findings on enrichment, already public......
    My guess is that he sat on it for as long as he dare hoping that US [cough] 'Intelligence' could turn up something to back up his rhetoric, Donald Rumsfeld stylee ......

" STEPHANOPOULOS: s it curious to you that given how much control U.S. and coalition forces now have in the country, they haven’t found any weapons of mass destruction?

RUMSFELD: Not at all. If you think — let me take that, both pieces — the area in the south and the west and the north that coalition forces control is substantial. It happens not to be the area where weapons of mass destruction were dispersed. We know where they are. They’re in the area around Tikrit and Baghdad and east, west, south and north somewhat."

You go to war with the lies you have, not the lies you want.

[Edited, because I'm thick]

4. Don't you just Chuffit?

Very nice turn of phrase there.

5. Read the tealeaves, people.

The release of this report makes it vitually impossible for the US to attack Iran for the remainder of Bush's term. Its release was the quid pro quo for the Iranians stopping backing various militias in Iraq and enabling the 'Surge' to succeed. It's part of the grand bargain that's been begotiated between the US and Iran over the last 6 months or so. All the sabre-rattling on both sides has really been part of the bargaining. Doubtless other elements of the 'deal' will come out over the next few months.

6. This so called report seems at odds with a recent IAEA report and comments made by the regime which state the Iranians are presently running a cascade of 3000 centrifuges.

7. So, so now you're on the side of the IAEA, T6? Talk about cognitive dissonance. This "so called report" is a National Intelligence Estimate. Complied by the NIC it is the highest level document the USIC provides. Surely someone with your alleged level of experience should know that, Trigger.

I'm certainly glad calmer heads somewhere seem to have prevailed- even if it is just for the time being. It is going to be interesting to find out who managed to persuade Dumbass that it's a good idea. However, I'm not convinced that the spin the administration are giving- that the halting of Iran's was in response to increased diplomatic and economic pressure- is the main cause. My immediate guess is that the Guardianship Council are keeping a tighter rein on Ahmadinejad. Even if Old Mahmood is in a hurry to end the world, the people who watch over him seem to prefer things the way they are.

Hopefully Condi and people who actually know a thing or two about Iran (other than the hairy-arsed exiles in Beverly Hills) have managed to point out that Ahmadinejad's govt is a house of cards and will fall apart on its own when external pressure doesn't act like a coalescent.

8. I think its instructive that the IAEA and the Iranian regime seem to be saying the samething. Unfortunately the CIA has been in wrong in their estimates in the past and I think they are wrong once again.