US Infantry Colonel sticks knife into General Carter and UK contribution to ISAF.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Bravo_Bravo, Oct 11, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 2
  1. ................................Redacted.................................

2. Rotter.. :)

I spotted the typo which, for some reason, I'm unable to edit, hence a less pisspoor spelling second attempt. Have asked for the initial effort to be binned.

3. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

It's a pretty scathing letter in toto (or rant, in shorto).

Did the Honorable (sic) chap send an open door reply?

4. His main thrust is that American troops' force protection needs were suborned to the needs of protecting civilians and/or working alongside NATO.

He also dislikes COIN, thinks that Mission Command doesn't seem to have a place and is unable to understand the word 'discombobulate': I would tempted to say 'do again in own time' to the good Col.

5. Pratt, (the American) not the op,
    could get drawn into an argument about friendly fire, lack of co-ordination, guns honeycomb, but I won't.
    We are still the most professional land army, IMHO.

6. I have awarded myself five extras.

7. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

I prefer the other thread, don't the Americans pronounce it that way?

8. And maybe a letter that wasn't written 2 years ago might have more resonance today.

9. Needs to go look this one up!:)

ETA: Yes, that word threw me into a state of discombulation too.

10. Works for me - despite the long, drawn out rant, there's a lot of sense in it, although I cannot (nor would want to) comment on the competence of Maj Gen Carter. But this was 2 years ago and, according to the blog, there was the usual smear campaign.
    Similarly, there was the Lt Col who did the dirt on LTG Caldwell targeting senators et al in the information campaign.
    What’s interesting is whether the open door policy is detrimental.

Anyone got any updates?

11. It's not so much an attack on anyone (although he's not saying many nice things) as it is an attack on "asymmetric" overseas adventuring IMO.

In short - "If we cannot mallet everyone and everything we encounter in the course of achieving an immediate aim... Then I don't want to be there, nor work with anyone who is not prepared to do said".