US Immigration

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by nips, Jul 20, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Probably not an exciting topic but if anyone has any useful information regarding US Immigration (british looking to move to states) etc, would be really helpful to me.

    PM me if you can help.

  2. It's not the easiest thing, takes a while and they don't really seem to want Brits there it seems. It'd be much easier by marrying an American or already having family there. If not, you need to be 'wanted' by the US. Like, be in a profession where they would need your skills and you'd have a stable job.
  3. Get yourself an immigration lawyer if you can afford one. Although not cheap, they can speed the whole process up, and help make sure that all the i's are dotted and all the t's are crossed.
  4. It's very very difficult to do unless you have any specific ties here (i.e married to a US citizen) or are on a multinational company transfer.

    You might try here for more info:

    Even if you have a legit reason to be permanenltly resident in the US, it's not the easiest thing getting sorted with work. Very inward looking mentality, you as a "foreigner" end up a square peg in a round hole, which you have to knock really hard to make fit, but it can be done. And when you do find a job, don't be thinking that you'll be visiting the UK or seeing the rest of the country very often, your average tight arsed septic employer will start you out with only one or two weeks holiday a year, for the next 5 years.

    PM me if you have any specific questions about immigration etc.
  5. Thanks for the help. I am actually married to a US Citizen, which by the looks of things will make it seem a little smoother. The britishexpates forum will be of great help, once i find the time to read through it, thanks Zoid.

    Ok, here is the scenario: Currently in USA. Leaving for UK in Jan 2007. Looking to return in June 2007.

    Should i start the immigration process now, or should I wait til i'm back in the UK?
  6. Well as your missus is a yank, it makes matters much easier. Unless you have a criminal record, you will likely have no problems getting a greencard. But you say you are leaving the US in Jan 2007 - FFS, whatever you do don't overstay your 90 day Visa waiver (I assume thats what you have), otherwise you will shoot yourself in the foot big time, and potentially end up banned from the US for 10 years. So if that is what you have and don't intend to go back to the UK till Jan, I'd suggest you start your immigration proceedings ASAP. In actual fact, being as you wish to return to the US in June 2007, I'd say best get cracking with immigration.

    I would've said applying from abroad through the local US Embassy or Consulate is the way to go, its what I did, and it is the fastest way as you get a green card on landing. Applying within the US drags the process out a lot, and although you will be fine to work here and live here, it can potentially take up to a couple of years extra to crack the process, as it were, as you have to get temp work permits etc etc etc. From outside the country - instant greencard.

    However, there is a catch - if applying from abroad, your missus will have to be legally resident for x amount of years in the UK before you become eligible to apply that way. So if you are set on coming back in June 07, or your missus won't be going to UK, I'd suggest you start applying pronto.
  7. Did you marry in the US? also did you enter into the US on the visa waiver programe?
  8. I married in the US. Entered on Nato TO.
  9. Hmm grey area then. But if you want to stick with your timeline, I'd get cracking now and start the process US side. Unless your missus is going to the UK with you and you will stay there for a couple of years, you don't have an option that is worth waiting for.

  10. Nips- give this number a try:

    1 (800) 375-5283

    It's the National Customer Service Centre number for US Citzenship and Immigration Services. You'll have a 20-25 minute wait to speak to an operator, explain your situation, and they should be able to tell you what forms you need to file.

    Good luck,
  11. Should be able to adjust status though as he entered legally and married in the US? Give the Service Centre a ring!
  12. My wife and I got here through her being a Registered Nurse. Took about two and half years for the paperwork.
    We're permanent residents and can become citizens after five years, if we decide to stay.
  13. Yes he should. Shouldn't have any trouble. As I understand it, from a friend in a similar situation to him at the minute, I think there are immigration centres around as well, where he might be able to get a face to face as well, bit easier than trying to talk to on the phone sometimes.
  14. If I have this right, you married but have not changed visa status, correct?

    Word of advice: the guys at INS, sorry, Homeland Security are right b@stards these days for the obvious reasons. Legally they can't treat you any differently than any other nationality (although I'm sure if it was up to them they'd let all the Brits in and keep the "others" out! :D ) so don't count on any special-relationship thing to help you out.

    I would strongly advise you to retain an immigration lawyer to handle your marriage visa immediately, to make sure all bases are covered; if you miss one step then you could very well be turned around and sent back to the UK for a year or so to await the resolution of your case. Sooner is better than later, trust me.

    Depending on your area, I might be able to provide you with a reference. You're welcome to PM me with generals.
  15. How much does an immigration lawyer cost? (obviously not an exact amount but on average)

    I'm willing to pay for one if they make life easier for this process.