US helicopter surge to aid British troops

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by msr, Dec 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

AMERICA is doubling the number of helicopters in southern Afghanistan, flying to the rescue of British troops who have complained that shortages in air support have left them vulnerable to Taliban roadside bombs.

The deployment of 250 additional helicopters will support the “surge” of 30,000 extra US soldiers and 7,100 Nato troops, who are planning to unleash their biggest array of firepower on insurgents in the new year.

Good to see someone stepping up to the plate.

2. It's a mystery to me why we haven't bought or leased some of the hundreds of Chinooks that the US National Guard have in storage. They might not be at the current specification that we would choose but they would still be perfectly serviceable and deployable helicopters.
  3. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

Expect to see an announcement on helicopters from the MoD before next weeks Question Time. I dont have any great insight but there is no way Bill Rammell is going to go up against William Hague and Gen Richard Dannatt without something to take the wind our of their sails.

I dont have any great insight but hows about a prediction...

30 extra Chinook
    RAF Merlin's transferred to the RN to replace the Sea King HC.4
    Some basing consolidation with a single base per type

4. It is possible to purchase extra aircraft, with money that we don't have. After all we only recently paid off our war debt to the USA. However finding the bods to maintain repair and fly them is just a tad harder.

Am sure Flashy or Meridian can explain it better.
  5. It's called the long term reserve - get them back in. I thought this was a war?
  6. Do you mean to say that, that box of spare aircrew and techs under the bed is not full. Someone should be hung for not thinking that we would need trained aircrew to fill the air frames we are to get form other countries 10 year down the line. Crystal ball gazing is not what it was.
  7. That and the bean counters somewhere thinking,"OK,we will be pulling out in 18 months time,with any luck.Can we justify the expense?"