US hegemony in Middle East is ending

Do you agree that US hegemony in the Middle East is ending?

• No of course, the USA has a full controll over the ME

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rather disagree, there are no significant changes

• Maybe, but still the USA is a decision maker in the ME

• Partially agree

• Yes, it's true

• US hegemony? Washington acts by orders from Israel

• Total voters
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/may/31/us-hegemony-middle-east-ending

Talk of a Middle East cold war is inaccurate – Russia and Turkey are simply capitalising on the region's new power vacuum

A recent arms deal between Russia and Syria has raised the prospect of a new cold war in the Middle East. Foreign Policy's Josh Landis, for example, suggests that unconditional US support for Israel will draw Moscow back into its pre-1989 role as supporter and arms supplier for the enemies of Tel Aviv and Washington.
While the Bush era saw the US hegemonic in the region, squeezing the defiant few like Syria and Saddam Hussein's Iraq, today's Middle East sees a power vacuum led by partial US retreat being filled by assertive regional and middle powers.
In such circumstances, it won't just be Russia and Turkey expanding their reach in the region, but China, India and Brazil will all bid for a role, too – presumably having fewer demands than Washington about their clients pursuing democratic reforms and peace with Israel. Saudi Arabia's growing relationship with China might signify the shape of things to come.

Not that this era is yet upon us. The US remains the superpower and could still effect serious change in the region, should it desire. However, the recent actions of Russia and Turkey in the Middle East do show a new assertiveness from regional powers to pursue their own path in defiance of US will, whether through arms deals, trade agreements or diplomatic coups. A new cold war is unlikely, but the age of unchallenged US hegemony in the Middle East could be ending.
Do you agree that US hegemony in the Middle East is ending?

Who else has a super carrier in the region with an air compliment capable of bringing any five nations to their knees? Oh... okay... yeah, no change. ;)

Khyros said:
Who else has a super carrier in the region with an air compliment capable of bringing any five nations to their knees? Oh... okay... yeah, no change. ;)
Nobody is paying anybody a compliment! The word is COMPLEMENT you dipsh1t! How can you expect to be taken seriously when you can't even fcukin' spel?

Edited to make sure I made the point

genuine_exscaley said:
Khyros said:
Nobody is paying anybody a compliment! The word is COMPLEMENT you dipsh1t! How can you expect to be taken seriously when you can't even fcukin' spel?

And your point was I fat fingered my keyboard? Oops... mea culpa. Add something usefull or go play in the NAAFI.

KGB agent, alas that air power was woefully under utilized... slightly differant method of operating these days with substantially more capable airframes and ordinance.

Khyros said:
genuine_exscaley said:
Khyros said:

And your point was I fat fingered my keyboard? Oops... mea culpa. Add something usefull or go play in the NAAFI.

KGB agent, alas that air power was woefully under utilized... slightly differant method of operating these days with substantially more capable airframes and ordinance.
ORDNANCE!

I think US 'hegemony' in the ME was always more of a wet-dream than a reality. After all, they've not been all that successful in either reining Israel in or stopping Saudi Arabia exporting Wahhabiism. Hegemony is as hegemony does.

Khyros said:
genuine_exscaley said:
Khyros said:

differant...

It is an interesting new word. It is likely a combinatter of words
to differ and a rant.

smartascarrots said:
I think US 'hegemony' in the ME was always more of a wet-dream than a reality. After all, they've not been all that successful in either reining Israel in or stopping Saudi Arabia exporting Wahhabiism. Hegemony is as hegemony does.
Agreed. There was no anything like hegemony before. So something non-existent can not vanish. And changes in the ME are not so profound.

KGB_resident said:
smartascarrots said:
Agreed. There was no anything like hegemony before. So something non-existent can not vanish. And changes in the ME are not so profound.
Exactly... on a side note, peas forgive my attempt to derail this silly thread by getting all the spell checkers to post. ;)