US generals ‘will quit’ if Bush orders Iran attack

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by whitecity, Feb 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Interesting piece by ARRSE's mikesmith,

2. If this is true (and I'm waiting for confirmation) then it sounds as if the planning process at the Pentagon is in full swing. It would be interesting to see what level these generals are at and what positions they currently hold.

3. They might be resigning sooner than they think:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1253147,00.html

Now where did I put my tinfoil hat catalogue?

4. Rather unfortunate turn of phrase considering recent events.

5. hehe missed that. Does that mean we can derail their intentions :plotting:

6. Enriching uranium on embankments could be dangerous to your health?

7. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

I think the crucial difference here is that the Generals look at the satellite IMINT for Iran and shiver, while George gives a whoop and says 'Come on boys we can win this'

8. In other words with Bush in charge, common sense will not prevail.

9. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Well Dubya has a world view, I think it ultimately derives from Daddy being a Company man. Its not that he doesn't have common sense, to be honest he knows what cost it will have, its rather he's prepared for a lot bigger loss than currently suffered to secure said worldview, especially when it comes to a small slither of land and current inhabitants in the Eastern Med.. They are, in their minds, far too far down the wrong fork of a Y junction to backtrack (i.e. their bed is made). Their best bet, in their mind, is to push on to cul de sac, and force a way through....

10. Typical Sunday Times load of bollocks

11. Agreed. However, if the article is true the Pentagon has no commanders just staff officers. If a half dozen staff officers resigned there would be no impact on operations. Also there is a difference between retirement and resignation. By resigning they would give up their pension which isnt a likely prospect.

12. I really don't understand the logic that George Bush is applying to the Iran situation. I understand that he believes that Iran is supporting attacks on american forces in Iraq. So he understands that Iraq is being destabalised by some Iranian insurgents-or so he says.

So his cunning plan is to launch an attack on Iran.

Yet if Iran is attacked then the rise of Iranian insurgent attacks in Iraq will increase tenfold-does he realise this. His generals may be threatening to quit because if the attack goes ahead and the situation in Iraq becomes even more dangerous for American soldiers then it will be they-the American generals who will have to plan on how to deal with the massive increase in attacks.

Surely an attack on Iran will recruit many, many, more insurgents. So all the present work at bringing stability to Iraq will fly out the window the moment the air strikes on Iran begin. looking at the bigger picture- would any reasonable 'tyrant' launch a nuclear weapon knowing that as soon as he does his own nation will cease to be.

13. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Let me do a brief analysis for you 'Might is Right'. With the awesome capability of the US Forces he's willing to play a last man standing gambit. Simple really as I alluded to in my earlier post.

14. Gen Pace has gone on record saying that it would be a bad idea to strike Iran

15. The last revolt of flag officers was by the Navy in 1949 over defense unification. Usually if someone no longer wants to serve they retire. If the President decides that Iran's nuclear facilities need to be attacked then it will happen. Only after the fact would you see retirements. No one that I know would favor an invasion of Iran but few have any qualms about an air campaign. There may be doubts about the ability of airpower to get all of Iran's dispersed facilities but there are no doubts about being able to at least delay their program. Any air campaign as I have posted before will involve striking Iran's high value targets - nuclear facilities,IRG, air bases, naval bases and ballistic missiles. There are alot of targets but the mission format would resemble the one used against Iraq both in DS and OIF. I suspect the window of opportunity for offensive action will be sometime in the spring to early summer. After that its too close to the primary season. I hope military action wont be necessary but Iran has shown no interest in aborting their nuclear program.

http://www.afa.org/magazine/perspectives/0588revolt.asp