US General fired in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by postman_twit, Nov 5, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I can't decide whether he was brave to give the interview or just plain daft, but either way he appears to me to be right on the money.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Methinks ol' mate missed the class on Political Decorum 101 and just 'shot from the hip'. Yes, we all think it, but, for the purpose of career enhancement one must shut mouth and become - Pavlov's Dog, a case of yap when I tell you to yap.
  3. Perhaps he decided that his pension and post-service career prospects (as a lobbyist in the military-industrial complex, no doubt) were secure enough for him to say what he really thought.
  4. Or maybe a reflection that even at the very top of the tree they have finally had enough?

All Karzai is doing is trying to prolong his life expectancy post withdrawal.

'Sorry Terry a nasty big American boy made me do it. I tried to stand up to him, honest!'
    • Like Like x 3
  5. So maybe it wasn't the 'slip of the tongue' that it seems to be.
  6. There seems to be a trend at the moment for 'forthright' comments from the senior military (see Mike Mullen's latest offering).

Is the Military manoeuvring itself prior to the Presidential elections or is Obama letting them do his Foreign relations dirty work?
  7. The latter, I suspect. Wouldn't such things be better said by diplomats behind closed doors, or is this a sign that the yanks have given that up as a bad job?
  8. There does seem to be a renaissance in senior commanders speaking in plain text, causing grief to their political masters. I for one support it, not that this big bushy eyebrowed shiny black nosed beagle really counts for anything.
  9. Political decorum doesn't enter into it. Yes, his statement is correct, but if he fucks off the Afghans and they can't trust him not to publicly make them look like the clueless twunts they are, then it's going to be impossible for him to do his job. Simple.
  10. I relate his job as something akin to herding epileptic cats.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Who's the creep who said 'The Afghan people are an honourable people'? Surely this is not based on observation?
  12. Despite the fact that what he said about the Afghan leadership is true, as a high ranker he needs to be aware of the political sensitivities. He must also remember, it was the yankees that put Karzai in his current position.

I love these bits

It was the US's choice to start the war in Afghanistan and drag as many people in it, so he should wind his neck in about that.

Yanks seem to think they do countries a favour when they invade them. What they don't understand is that Afghanistan did not ask to be invaded and occupied or ask for the $11.6 that the US allegedly gave them. They also are quite active in seeing how much they can take out of Afghanistan (in minerals etc), so are effectively trying to groom it.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. has anyone stopped to consider the guy did it as a quick way to get home, making your position untenable publicly is probably the fastest way to garantee re-assignment to civi street
  14. He's probably correct, but still, it's not his fcuking place to make comments like that, the silly sausage.