US formally protests China navy refusal

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Taz_786, Dec 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://edition.cnn.com/2007/US/11/30/china.us/

Reckon there'll be a tit-for-tat refusal for Chinese warships?

Look's like rising tension in the South China Sea.

2. Why namely protest? Has China any formal obligations to accept American naval vessels in its ports? Would Washiongton protest if North Korea would not allow American warships to use N.Korean ports?

3. If North Korea had any good ports for a run ashore I'm sure the US and Royal Navy would be docking there for a little R&R now bore off and go tend your cabages for tonight's soup!

4. Airfix, as I see you understand my point pretty well. China is an independent country and it is free to allow or not to allow to enter foreign warships in its ports. The fact that HK previously was extensively used by US navy is irrelevant . Now HK is not under British authority.

PS. I have heard rumours that British navy would be soon renamed into British naval coast guard. So N.Korean (or S.Korean) ports would be of low interst for the UK.

PPS. I hope your morning porridge would be excellent. Though don't drink more than 0.5L of whisky. Such doses are as a rule unhealthy.

5. I would suggest it is a common courtesy, especially when ships are trying to get out of the danger of a storm.

6. It is a silly thing to protest in these cases. Regret? Maybe, but not protest.

Why not to use civilian cargo plane? I suppose that it would be even cheaper.

Such unreliable ships that are unable to withstand storms should be close to American coast or near Phillipines, Japan, Taiwan and other places there they would be able to enter without any delay if needed.

The protest means that from American point of view the decisions are unlawful. But why?

7. There seems to be some confusion the exact reasons permission was refused. Normally, something like this is used to send a message, but nobody seems to know what the exact message was. The broad sweep is obvious, but the Chinese tend not to use broad sweeps in exercising national policy.

I'm tempted to put on the tinfoil hat and link this to the Hong Kong elections - PRC not wanting loads of Yanks around stirring up trouble with their evangelical pro-democracy stuff.

8. Smartas:
    You would hardly need baco foil. The US is constantly and undemocratically butting in on other peoples democratic processs. They do it in Iran, Iraq, Palestine, Pakistan and anywhere else that takes their fancy.
    Nice to see some one sending them away with a flea in their ear once in a while.

9. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Yes indeed. Hooray for the remaining totalitarian dictatorships, they really know how to stick it to the Yanks!

Good to be reminded what a complete c0ck you are, in addition to your well-known mendacity.

10. In case you hadn't noticed cpunk much to the alarm of increasing numbers of Americans,the US itself is turning into a totalitarian dictatorship

How unfortunate that you should have used that word to describe me. You see whilst you and others were blithly and ignorantly supporting America's invasions I, like the Burl Ive's Grandpa in 'A Cat on a Hot tin Roof' had long since smelt the 'men-das-sit-tee' emanating from from the very mouths of those men who had planned them.

12. I doubt that there were many those who flight to Hong Kong.

http://www.kittyhawk.navy.mil/news/Story%20Pages/Story3.htm

Yokosuka is just near Tokyo. So the wives and the families use to visit Japan to reunite with loved ones and recently had a very good opportunity.

13. Since when has the American navy been running a passenger service?
    If these wives and families had paid out of their own pockets how come then they didn't catch flights? Your story just doesn't hold water. (er hem, sorry about that last line.)

14. Because America believes in democracy, and strives to make the world a better place?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6AWl18xWak&feature=related

15. http://www.navytimes.com/news/2007/11/ap_kittyhawk_071121/