US Forces Strike Pakistan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by G_at_DYRMS, Aug 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. KABUL (AFP) - US-led and Afghan troops struck Taliban posts inside Pakistan, which denied giving permission, as new clashes left more than 30 rebels dead and there were claims Sunday of civilian casualties.

The US-led coalition said it received the go-ahead from Pakistan to strike across the border on Saturday, but this was rejected by the chief military spokesman in Islamabad.
    "There was no attack, no firing from our side of the border. And there was no permission asked by them or given by us," Major General Waheed Arshad said.
    Pakistani officials have said repeatedly they would not allow any foreign troops to hunt militants on its soil, and insist they are doing what they can to hunt down the extremists.

US President George W. Bush this month refused to rule out unilateral US strikes on Pakistani soil if specific intelligence pinpointed top Al-Qaeda leaders.

Complete article at-
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070826/wl_sthasia_afp/afghanistanusunrest_070826193341

I wonder what the long term consequences of this strike on a supposed ally will be.

Most likely Musharraf will suck it and swallow it with a smile.

2. After the Red Mosque fiasco, he's looking for a way to look tough on Islamists in front of the largely secular army: I'd have thought he'd be claiming credit for any strike on them if he could get away with it. He's looking pretty shaky these days, this might be the last straw.

3. The US seems to be hell-bent on de-stabilizing Pakistan and uniting all the pashtun tribes against them. They're like a big angry giant flailing about making life more difficult for themselves.

4. They maybe trying this as a beta operation before executing the alpha version on Iran.
    As to the long or short consequences of the actions of the idiot child that America has now become - we might as well soon stick our heads between our legs and kiss our asses goodbye.

America is now completly off its head.
    They couldn't make more of a pigs ear of world affairs if Keith fcukin' Moon was the president of America rather than George fcukin Bush.

5. This whole thing seems a bit fishy to me. Coalition Commanders say the Pakistanis gave them the go ahead, and this general says that they didn't. Something doesn't add up.

I have to wonder if maybe some Pakistani official gave permission that he wasn't authorized to give, and is now ducking down.

6. This is all news to me Chief. I have only now heard of this military venture from arrrse. What you say is considerably worrying.
    But one thing I think as military or former military men we can agree on - no war must be born out of confusion.
    Because any such war so born, has the word 'disaster' written through it like a stick of fcuking rock.

7. I have no argument there. However, I have nothing to back up my assertion, it's simply a possible scenario (and it wouldn't have been the first time such a thing has happened). I think we can all agree that the region is a clusterf*ck. I'm not ready to condemn anyone just yet, as there is simply not enough to go on. However, from what I've heard from American and British troops who I've talked to about Afghanistan with have all said that confusion and irony litter the place.

I should note that I'm a prospective military man though (cadet).

8. Seems very unlikely the US isn't attacking across the border with tacit Pak agreement but saying it in public is going to hurt Musharraf. Not quite as much damage as nagging him into attacking the NFWP has done though.