US Forces in Iraq

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by PLANK, Jun 19, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi
    After reading the book's MY WAR & Jarhead I think I now understand the MORONIC ATTITUDE in US FORCES in Iraq. It seems to be instilled in there thinking in their training .
    Do the Yanks act this way at all times, I remember when I was stationed in Germany in the 60s they acted like they were Superior to Everyone then. :? :?
    All the Best
    PLANK

2. I don't know any serving US military person who thought Jarhead was a good book. The general consensus is that Swofford is an a-hole. The book was a 200-page, foul-mouthed gripe session with no redeeming qualities.

NTM

3. "Jarhead" sucked donkey ballz, swofford is considered by most Marines to be a sell-out, & 10%'r

4. Wow! a 10%'r - don't know many that would rate Swofford that high. :roll:

5. I thought Jarhead was badly written, and very drivel like. Captured the media and Hollywood though didn't he, and made a lot of money.

6. THANK YOU GENT'S FOR REPLYING. IT SEEMS NOT ALL YOU READ IN BOOKS IS CORRECT, 8O 8O
    GOOD LUCK TO ALL FRIENDLY FORCES OUT THERE AND I HOPE YOU GET HOME "OK"

7. Well, trying to be fair, it's always possible swofford was told to jazz the book up.

8. No he wrote the book himself. He wrote it in my hometown no less

9. You know Swofford?

10. No, but he was on a radio program here when the movie came out. He wrote the book while he was living here after being discharged.

11. K. I was a bit worried that US forces truly had Swoffords attitude. Feeling bit better now! :)

12. Swofford mentioned in the forward of his book that he sought to make an emotional impact on the reader by playing fast and loose with reality. As I read the book, I kept that in mind. It was far from the most entertaining read but not the worst either.

13. This is a review of the film Jarhead from the perspective of a Marine currently in Iraq http://midnight.hushedcasket.com/2006/05/31/thoughts-on-jarhead/ I think it's interesting.

It should be noted that Swofford has publicly stated that no one should take his book as a solid foundation for anything. It was a work written in a state of emotion and frustration, from a frustrated and confused person. It should be regarded as such.