US forces back from Iraq... This wouldnt happen in Britain!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Run_Charlie!, May 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. And the reply:

news://alt.binaries.pictures.military

2. True, very true. British Forces would get stopped at customs, searched and questioned for 1/2 hour each (after all the civvies had been pushed to the front). If we were allowed to walk throught the terrminal (some fcuking hope!) we'd probably end up being spat on.

3. Idiot post deleted. Time and place Frenchperson , and that wasn't it.

The support the average US citizen gives their troops, and indeed Allied Military is humbling.

Perhaps it's a collective subconscious decison to never again treat the troops in the manner they were treated during Vietnam. Perhaps with the advent of the internet and fastmedia , people can see what the troops go through , can read their blogs and see their own pictures which really brings it home.

The simple fact is, over 60% of the US population think Iraq isn't worth the candle , the President's approval rating is in the toilet, but support for the boys and girls grows.

It would be a good thing for UK civpop to see our people welcomed back like this

4. One thing i do have respect for the septics is their 'Backing the troops'

5. Am I not right in thinking that British troops fly in & out of military airfields, out of sight of the general public?
    If this is so then there is little opportunity for an 'American' style welcome

6. No , they have returned to UK civil airports from time to time?. viz. Staffords into Birmingham.

7. I go to Texas quite a bit and you see bumper stickers on cars almost hourly expressing their support for the troops overseas. I don't think I have ever seen one here. TV coverage there is almost always fully supportive.

8. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Hmm. It's not always perfect. My friend's brother returned from National Guard duty in Iraq, along with a couple of hundred of his colleagues. They travelled on a military plane, directly from a military base. They were all made to remove their boots for scanning before being allowed into the country.

To say that their waiting families were not pleased is a mild understatement.

9. Consider also that in this country no one under the age of 60+ has experienced national service and therefore, unless they happen to live near a garrison town, the average member of the public is unlikely to come in contact with the military. and will therefore have little feeling for it one way or the other.
    Media reporting of current British military activity is very limited, even when soldiers are killed in action and so its not surprising that the public are seemingly unappreciative of its armed forces - they are largely ignorant of its activities and more interested in the going ons of showbusiness nonentities.

10. Then how would you raise the profile of the Armed Forces to the British public?

Or to be more specific, how do you get the British public into the mindset of supporting us in a more public fashion?

11. Tricky one that!
    Perhaps the TA (if that is still the correct title) could have a more public role and greater involvement in community activities?
    Cadet forces still seem to exist here & there - maybe memebrship could be made more attractive to the young?
    More 'open days' and military band performances?
    Its up to the military to highten its profile in every way it can.
    Sadly its all down to resources and 'public relations' gets cut before equipment.

12. Tricky one that!
    Perhaps the TA (if that is still the correct title) could have a more public role and greater involvement in community activities?
    Cadet forces still seem to exist here & there - maybe memebrship could be made more attractive to the young?
    More 'open days' and military band performances?
    Its up to the military to highten its profile in every way it can.
    Sadly its all down to resources and 'public relations' gets cut before equipment.

13. We don't have the budget for it.

An old OC of mine thought it a good idea that the TA should be available for the next time Upton-under-Severn or any of those towns in that area sank beneath the waves, as they tend to round about Spring thaw.

It would raise profile, be good PR and give the troops experience in working with civpop on minor disaster type efforts, working with blue light etc. Concept sound familiar?

The response when put up the CoC was I believe was along the lines of "Where is the value in that we haven't got the budget etc etc etc"

14. It happens every four or five years when somebody goes on strike P_T_P

Fire Strikes
    Foot and Mouth
    Amblance strikes

Were just waiting for the binmen to go on strike next mate i between our back to back tours.

edited to say well done to all the civvies in US for not complaining in having to wait.