US female hostage rescue... sketchy details ??

Apparently so have you lot over the years

Seriously stop being a dumbass, every nations military has had its screwups
It isn't a competition - I don't remember stating that we hadn't made mistakes?

No need for the insults either, anybody might think you're a bit touchy.

It isn't a competition - I don't remember stating that we hadn't made mistakes?

No need for the insults either, anybody might think you're a bit touchy.
When you guys continually make such comments expect some back

But don't ask why "Doc" is the only one with an RPK.

I usually tell people "I spent most of my time at Benning, with a couple of side trips."
Ah, but did you use the front gate, or the back gate? From what I am told the back gate is popular amongst a certain crowd.

Ah, but did you use the front gate, or the back gate? From what I am told the back gate is popular amongst a certain crowd.
Are you referring to Eddy Bridge/Dixie Road/LAA, or the mortar platoon's usual antics?

Eh, either way, road to nowhere, and I tended to stay away from Phenix City, and sodomy.

Are you referring to Eddy Bridge/Dixie Road/LAA, or the mortar platoon's usual antics?

Eh, either way, road to nowhere, and I tended to stay away from Phenix City.
I dunno, I've only been to Benning once. A mate who was a SF SSGT and got nabbed for the green to gold program told me that "those people" use the back gate, someone else in that line of work mentioned it too..............it may be a standard wind up for Brits.

I dunno, I've only been to Benning once. A mate who was a SF SSGT and got nabbed for the green to gold program told me that "those people" use the back gate, someone else in that line of work mentioned it too..............it may be a standard wind up for Brits.
Yeah, "that gate" only goes to the airfield, where the "SWAT team" keeps their Learjets parked up.

Whats this, or shouldn't I ask?
If a candidate for officership blatantly stands out they sponsor him/her through university - all US officers have to have a degree. Once they have the degree they receive the commission and hey ho off they go.

I have met two over the years:

1. My former mate who did some serious sneaky SF type stuff around and about was picked up for the programme. He already had a degree, but they decided that it would be good to sponsor him through a Masters Degree, all expenses, etc, etc. He should be a SF Major around now.

2. The other one was a black guy who was an officer cadet at West Point, military academy, I met whilst skydiving with the cadet team in Florida. Totally nice bloke, he had been an airborne Cpl and impressed all the right people in Iraq and they had sent him to West Point. Attending the relevant service's military academy is considered a hugely, huge deal here in the US where ordinarily to even be considered you need written recommendations from a couple of people at the calibre of General Officer, or Congressman. In conversation with the other cadets they told me that matey got the Silver Star for some action in Iraq.

Yeah, "that gate" only goes to the airfield, where the "SWAT team" keeps their Learjets parked up.
Funnily enough 3 decades ago the US Army operated C-21A Learjet for Operational Support Airlfit mission. They had albeit probably an airframe or two unlike their USAF colleagues which operated quite a number.

082FD1D8-1108-4E61-B6D1-8ED4D99EFF87.jpeg

Also they also acquired another Learjet kind enough donation (did not have a choice in the matter!!!) by a convicted felon (druggie). It was under the USG Confiscated Equipment / Aircraft Program ....

cheers

Last edited:

aardvark64

Old-Salt
*for security purposes DONT fill in the blanks - but for the rest of the arrseretti, go ahead. :cool:
Is one of them RAF REGT?

Funnily enough 3 decades ago the US Army operated C-21A Learjet for Operational Support Airlfit mission. They had albeit probably an airframe or two unlike their USAF colleagues which operated quite a number.

View attachment 460716

cheers
We had some dedicated squad taxis... weirdly switched to Spartans a little less than 15 years ago... then got rid of them after about 5-6 years, and went in a couple of different directions.

Unlucky...

Always thought Savannah was the place to be.
Savannah Georgia is a nice city but a good ways from the Savannah River Site on the eponymous river in South Carolina. About 200 miles IIRC.

If a candidate for officership blatantly stands out they sponsor him/her through university - all US officers have to have a degree. Once they have the degree they receive the commission and hey ho off they go.
The US military is big on higher education and has been for years. Back in 1980 my wife was an active USN LT. The Yeoman (i.e. clerk) assigned to her was a very bright and capable YN2. She recommended him for the university program and he went to a college with Naval ROTC with full YN pay and all tuition and books paid for. At the end of 4 years he graduated and was commissioned and his enlisted service time counted for pay grade purposes.

DoD also sends officers to graduate schools. Similar deal as above, full pay, housing etc and full tuition and books payment. Several years after my law degree and bar admission I had a chance to go to a Masters of Public Administration program at Harvard-Kennedy School of Government. My class included 3 USN officers (Sub Driver, Aviator and Surface Warfare), an Army officer (artillery), USAF officer (FB-111 pilot) and a Marine. All were either USN LTs or Captains in the other services. We also had a woman who was a LCDR in the NOAA commissioned corps (our smallest uniformed service). Two of the USN types retired as CAPTs, one USN type retired as a VADM, The Air Force guy retired as a two star after serving at the USAF academy as Commandant of Cadets (or some title like that).

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Savannah Georgia is a nice city but a good ways from the Savannah River Site on the eponymous river in South Carolina. About 200 miles IIRC.
<1> are at Hunter just outside Savannah though, no?

Can't say I've ever done anything with them. All my dealings have been with people from the other three battalions.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Military Clothing & Boots 7
Oyibo The NAAFI Bar 830
Raven2008 Royal Air Force 281

Latest Threads