US family apply for asylum in Finland...

HELSINKI, Finland (AP) — An American family with three small children has applied for political asylum in Finland, immigration officials said Friday.
The five family members came to Finland on Tuesday from Germany, said Minna Serradj from the Directorate of Immigration.
"It's very unusual for a U.S. citizen to apply for asylum," Serradj said, declining to give details in line with a policy to protect asylum seekers. "I don't remember when we last had Americans applying."
Serradj declined to comment on local media speculation that the parents possibly were seeking to escape serving in the U.S. armed forces in Iraq.
"We will handle the case just like all the others," she said, adding a decision will be made in three to six months.

Finland has one of the smallest proportions of foreigners in Europe, amounting to just over 2 percent of the 5.3 million population. Last year, 38 of 2,300 applicants were given political asylum.
Are they war dodgers ?

ViolentBadger said:
HELSINKI, Finland (AP) — An American family with three small children has applied for political asylum in Finland, immigration officials said Friday.
The five family members came to Finland on Tuesday from Germany, said Minna Serradj from the Directorate of Immigration.
"It's very unusual for a U.S. citizen to apply for asylum," Serradj said, declining to give details in line with a policy to protect asylum seekers. "I don't remember when we last had Americans applying."
Serradj declined to comment on local media speculation that the parents possibly were seeking to escape serving in the U.S. armed forces in Iraq.
"We will handle the case just like all the others," she said, adding a decision will be made in three to six months.

Finland has one of the smallest proportions of foreigners in Europe, amounting to just over 2 percent of the 5.3 million population. Last year, 38 of 2,300 applicants were given political asylum.
Are they war dodgers ?
No conscription like there was during the Vietnam War. If they're trying to dodge a tour of Iraq either one of the family is a regular or volunteer reservist and want to avoid moblisation, or they're a deserter if regular.

Asylum Check Sheet:

Is the country you are normally resident in being run by a ruthless regime who's leader is hell-bent on controlling the world? Y/N

Are you persecuted because of race/religeous belief/sexual orientation/political beliefs? Y/N

Do you fear for your life every time you stick your head out of the door? Y/N

Well that should count for a big 'Y' coming from the good old US of A. On a lesser scale I suppose we could apply for Asylum coming from the UK!

. Last year, 38 of 2,300 applicants were given political asylum.
Seems they have a different guide lines to who needs political asylum.

They allow 1.6% of their asylum seekers to have it.

The UK allows about 36% full asylum and 10% leave to stay.

I wonder why there is such a huge difference?

Finland got it right then!

I bet these Americans are a pair of transgendered gay men of different ethnic origins with a muslim, buddish and a voodoo love child. They may also be disabled.

We should have them here! FFS its like a freeking rainbow family

And the latest plan to give anyone who managed to stay in the UK illegally for 10 years full citizenship - WWHHATTT!!!!!

So the government admits that they are completely inept at immigration so they are just going to let them stay cos they couldn't find them?

Why not just grant everyone who enters full citizenship - that way they are not elligable for any handouts and a hammered to the max on taxation etc.

They leave countries because of poverty, corruption and come to a country where a good percentage of the diggies are suffering the same!

royalecraig said:
Be fair chaps....they paid good money for their British Citizenship...

Yes People read and Weep, British citizenship, the land our fathers, grandfathers fought and died for on Normandy's beaches sold to alll and sundry for around £40 quid....

http://www.4ni.co.uk/nationalnews.asp?id=45565

I wouldn't mind but its not even the Govts country to sell

http://www.britsattheirbest.com/freedom/f_your_own_choice.htm
Bugger. I was thinking of putting mine on eBay, but that wouldn't even fund a night on the wazz.

EX_REME said:
royalecraig said:
Be fair chaps....they paid good money for their British Citizenship...

Yes People read and Weep, British citizenship, the land our fathers, grandfathers fought and died for on Normandy's beaches sold to alll and sundry for around £40 quid....

http://www.4ni.co.uk/nationalnews.asp?id=45565

I wouldn't mind but its not even the Govts country to sell

http://www.britsattheirbest.com/freedom/f_your_own_choice.htm
What happens if they fail?
They get Welsh citizenship.

Steven said:
. Last year, 38 of 2,300 applicants were given political asylum.
Seems they have a different guide lines to who needs political asylum.

They allow 1.6% of their asylum seekers to have it.

The UK allows about 36% full asylum and 10% leave to stay.

I wonder why there is such a huge difference?
Says a lot for Finnish common sense.