US engagement outside CONUS

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Goatman, May 10, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

as part of the course I'm currently struggling with, I came across the attached piece by Jeane Kirkpatrick, former US Ambassador to the UN:

The United States cannot remain an open, democratic society if we are left alone - a garrison state in a hostile world.

We need independent nations with whom to trade, to consult and cooperate.

We need friends and allies with whom to share the pleasures and the protection of our civilization.

We cannot, therefore, be indifferent to the subversion of others' independence or to the development of new weapons by our adversaries or of new vulnerabilities by our friends.

It's too late to put in my current essay (so no, I'm not looking for free help with my homework 8) ) but I'd be interested to hear whether Ambassador Kirkpatrick's speech in 1984 had any resonance with folk today ?

Seems to me that in the wake of OIF, the US is getting ready for another bout of isolationism......

Apologies if this is not the appropriate thread - couldn't find anything that fitted.

Le Chevre

2. "We cannot, therefore, be indifferent to the subversion of others' independence or to the development of new weapons by our adversaries or of new vulnerabilities by our friends."

Seem's like this sums up our current foreign policy.

3. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

yeah but no but yeah but......US foreign Policy seems to go through cycles of isolationism and over engagement.

That quote was given by Kirkpatrick after the first Reagan administration when she and others felt that Ronnie had started to set right things after Carter.

My question is whether the relocation of bases ( withdrawal of 1st Armored from Germany) and the eventual drawdown from Iraq, the Balkans and Afghanistan is due to a growing feeling in the US that it's time to circle the wagons for a spell - and bring your people home ?

Le Chevre

4. The current plan to rebase in CONUS is a pretty smart move. These units will be home based and then forward deployed as needed to smaller spartan bases. The families will be safely in CONUS. These spartan bases may be in Poland, Hungary or Bulgaria. We will still keep our large air bases and medical facilities in Germany. The Army will also maintain its training facilities in Germany. The plan is to base a Stryker brigade in Germany.