US Embassy in Iraq hit by missiles

Looks like things are once again escalating, without actually escalating. How long this state will persist, of course, remains to be seen.

Ding ding round 3...

Looks like things are once again escalating, without actually escalating. How long this state will persist, of course, remains to be seen.

Back to the low level insurgency stuff and I expect a series of attacks in the leadup to your elections to try and embarrass trump, without giving him an all out pretext to bring out the sledgehammer again..... One assumes, the US can adopt the similar tactics and encourage a local player to start pooping off the competition.

By rocket, are we talking someone lobbing some RPG-7's over the fence (Or slightly bigger, but you get the idea), or something fired from Iran?

By rocket, are we talking someone lobbing some RPG-7's over the fence (Or slightly bigger, but you get the idea), or something fired from Iran?
Latest assessment is that it was actually mortar IDF.

Iranian backed militia groupings responsible.

Regular occurrence and typically utilise107mm Katyusha rockets launched from basic homemade platforms.

katyusha-rockets-defused-in-babel.jpg

Last edited:
So no BBQ’s and pool parties at the Embassy this summer.

That's a neat launcher. Whipped up in a simple workshop,using cheap materials and easily used by ill trained militia types. It weighs **** all and folds up into a small canvas bag (i made that bit up). Why is it not in mass production for every Army in the West? the rockets are probably the cheapest of their kind and easily made in a small local factory.

longtimeout

War Hero
That's a neat launcher. Whipped up in a simple workshop,using cheap materials and easily used by ill trained militia types. It weighs **** all and folds up into a small canvas bag (i made that bit up). Why is it not in mass production for every Army in the West? the rockets are probably the cheapest of their kind and easily made in a small local factory.
/WAHSHIELD ON
Probably because most Western Armies try to actually target things when they launch wizzy bang things into the sky, with the intent of destroying a particular target.

Not just launch them into the sky with a healthy dose of Inshallah/ I don't give a fuck if it hits a random target.
/WAHSHIELD OFF

Last edited:

*Russian Troll*
Not too long if the Iraqi general-consensus is anything to go by.

This story serves very well as a distraction.

Funny how a routine IDF event in Baggers is over-shadowing full and open reporting of the mass demos against foreign occupation.
It would seem the Iraqis are a bit fed up after 17yrs of freedom.

Which would be the more important scoop for an informative press?
a) A few rds lobbed into the GZ?(mundane)
b) A mass mobilisation of the Iraqi people against western occupation/ interference (prick up your ears).

Because we'd increase the cost by a factor of ≥ 10

Eh ?
This is a low - tech ( but apparently effective ) Canadian built launch system.
Sold to whom, in what numbers ?
Sold on by whom, and copied x 100, no doubt.
And used against the US Embassy in this case.

Now, I understand how, in the past, we have sold quite sophisticated weapon systems to ME 'allies' , and have lived to regret it.
( Apart from our people who didn't live to regret it, of course )

But this thing, effective but so, so easily copied at local level, is almost custom designed for multi faction ragheads to construct in their garages.

And kill Canadian, American, British etc etc.

If the 107mm Rocket is still being supplied, forget this post.
If it isn't , we shouldn't be supplying methods of launching remaining ordnance.

Regular occurrence and typically utilise107mm Katyusha rockets launched from basic homemade platforms.
As mentioned previously, no.

'A top U.S. commander said Monday that mortars were used in an attack on the American embassy in Baghdad that injured one person and caused some material damage the previous night, not katyusha rockets as was initially reported by staffers and a statement from the military. Gen. Frank McKenzie, a top U.S. commander for the Middle East, told reporters traveling with him that the mortar attack started a fire that was put out. He said no U.S. military personnel were injured, but one U.S. national had a minor injury but returned to work.'

https://apnews.com/73432d2b95b908aae85eb9e05b93cf95?fbclid=IwAR2kG7akm6UwozuBrbh_n9h9xD8Kzqf-41bjK4b39jWEsn7pQIalcJBYXbs

Iranian backed militia groupings responsible.

View attachment 446029
They’re not Katyusha.

Nor are they BM-21 ‘Grad’ rockets.

They’re 107mm rockets.

Katyusha were fin-stabilised. The 107, apart from lots of other differences, are spin-stabilised.

‘Katyusha’ is one of those over-used words like ‘tank’ or ‘sniper’.

See here

Latest Threads